Zone valve position

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wozz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hopefully just a quick one...

went to wire u a S plan the other day and the plumber had put the DHW zone valve next to the megaflow on the second floor, not very handy as the wiring centre was on the ground floor, is there any reason for him doing this? i told the customer it would have to be moved or we will have to some how get a 5 core through a finished house very hard job. The plumber said it was not possible to move it?? again any reason for this?

Just to clarify this is not my balls up, i was just there to get the heating going i did not wire the CH system.

JTL will give you a better answer I am sure.

However the reason why the valve can not be moved is because it has been installed for that zone only and in position where it is most effective.

Unfortunatley this means the electrician will have a harder job to get the cable up to it.

It could be done in trunking surface style so chic with the ikea look, or chased out and re-plastered.

When you follow any trade other than your own this kind of problem crops up.

I always make a point of mentioning other foreseable problems to the client, however some plumbers do not do the same.

I would just give the clients the options you have available, then ask them how they wish to procede.

I did one recently had five zone valves on. Two on the lower level and three on the upper. Luckily the plumber had told me so I got the cables in before it was boarded and plastered. I don't envy you on this one. I thinks it going to be take some floors up. Don't you hate it when there is no communication on these jobs.

Batty

cheers lads.

ive only just been asked to help out after their electricains have taken the **** and done a awful job. not a envyable position.

just a complete balls up they have wired for a cyclinder stat and nothing else.

i cant see the difference between the vavle being below the boiler where there is room for it or on the same pipe two floors up? im just trying the understand the set up here.

for all i can see its alot easier moving a valve than having a few of us ripping up floors and in precarious positions on ladders trying to get a cable in. Or am i talking out my arse again?

Last edited by a moderator:
if there are any branches on the pipework between where you want the valve at the boiler, and where the valve is now, then whatever is on that branch will then not work

if there are any branches on the pipework between where you want the valve at the boiler, and where the valve is now, then whatever is on that branch will then not work
thats what i thought but what could it branch to?

I would imagine they have piped to have valve there, as I said though shame there is no communication between trades.

Batty