Contactum

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musicspark

Reaction score
Hi Folks

How about some opinions on contacutm CUs. I'd heard they'd gone bust - any truth in the rumour?

I've fitted a couple, and apart from the bendy plastic casing, I thought they were OK, but I wouldn't like to fit any more of them If I couldn't get spares.

They are apparently back in business. If you look at their website all the info is there.

I'd heard that they'de gone pop too. Got a couple of their rcbos from TLC last month though.

They are definitely back in business and its British made too !!!!
fraid they are not british made all there stuff is made abroad well. Mk stiil produce there accessories in this country but switchgear is made abroad.

Batty

I could be wrong but I was told there gear was made abroad. Tlc brought a container full of sockets after they had gone to the wall. I still like there stuff as you rarely get problems with it.

Batty

I agree , very reliable robust product, used them a lot till my wholesaler changed to C/tree. Can't find the advert now, but remember thinking I'd like to use them if they are made in the UK . Probably the only thing that is these days.

TLC , yes they have some Contactum obselete MCBs , I've been buying.

Deke

The advert is in PE and trumpets the 'Made in the UK' aspect.

MEMs Memera 200AD stuff is made in their factory in Holyhead.

Anyone know where Wylex, Crabtree and GET Ultimate is made?

A lot of manufacturers get around this by assembling in the UK. Contactum used to bring in the bodies from the far east & put the fronts or contents in over here. Supalux also do this by with their light fittings which use Osram control gear & are assembled in Essex using imported metalwork.

Crabtree used to be in Walsall , West Mids. now a housing estate . They avoid the issue in their catalogue so I guess its abroad, warehousing and head office in Cannock, Staffs.

The MEM (Eaton) factory is still in Birmingham , mainly the industrial gear I believe.

I feel a thread comming on.

I heard that it was taken over by a director from BG and that it is currently struggling? Not quite sure if thats the case?

Time will tell I guess.

Yes, the MEM place in Brum is industrial gear. their domestic stuff is made in Holyhead, and IMO is top notch quality.

Yes, Electrium (Crabtree, Wylex et al) are HQ'd in Walsall, but I'm interested in where the gear is made. As you say they side step this issue in their catalogue (as do GET who like to trumpet that they are an English company).

I buy Pirelli and Draka cables because they are top quality and 'made in the UK' is clearly printed on the drum.

Around my way most people buy on quality rather than just price and also like to support local trades. I then do my bit by buying as much as possible made in the UK (and tell this to my customers too).

Most of the cable I get locally is made by Doncaster Cables, and has Made in the Uk on it.

I never realised Doncaster was in the UK ]:) :D

Most of the cable I get locally is made by Doncaster Cables, and has Made in the Uk on it.I never realised Doncaster was in the UK ]:) :D
You must be a CEF customer as Doncaster Cables is their own in-house manufacturing division.

I've stopped using Doncaster cables after experiencing quality problems that my local Account Manager failed to address.

In fact, I buy very little from CEF.

In a moment of weakness I was persuaded to try an M2 board. I found out that it's just Proteus with a new face (even the tooling marks are exactly the same!!). And look at the pictures to see the state of the board straight out of a sealed box. Again the issue was never properly adressed.

P3252875.jpg

P3252876.jpg

I've stopped using Doncaster cables after experiencing quality problems that my local Account Manager failed to address.In fact, I buy very little from CEF.

In a moment of weakness I was persuaded to try an M2 board. I found out that it's just Proteus with a new face (even the tooling marks are exactly the same!!). And look at the pictures to see the state of the board straight out of a sealed box. Again the issue was never properly adressed.
that is rough!

So much for manufacturing to ISO 9002. My old boss was right, if you sell crap it just makes you sell it more efficiently.

ISO 9002 only says that a firm has quality systems in place. It has nothing to say about the quality of the product.

If CEF and the RPP rep had shown any real interest in this issue I'd have offered them my Engineering expertise on a consultanty basis. If that had been an automotive component/system delivered to an OEMs lineside, the supplier in question would have been hauled over the coals for weeks on end.