DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.

notches and galv box lids

sellers

Question

Is this acceptable??

I'm rewiring just the sockets in a house with solid floors downstairs.

So under the upstairs floorboards there are loads more cables all running through notches. Is it ok for me to run my new cables through these and put galv box lids on?

See Andy's picture, thats how I'd do it if notches are already there, just do it , don't worry about it. Mechanical protection , no probs. Millions of houses like it.

Bang on, if the notches are already there, with the capacity to take your cables, drilling holes next to them makes no sense.

If there is no current route, obviously then it's drilling the joists as per regs.

Sellers, TLC do a better version of those safe plates compared to SF.

AndyGuiness Drink

Sellers, TLC do a better version of those safe plates compared to SF.

AndyGuiness Drink

I know they do look a lot better, but its 1-2days delivery and that will be from monday. The first fix will be finnished tomorrow ready for plasterer on monday.

The only time I would put cables over a joist if it was a cottage with 3'' joists. Most houses you should be able to put holes through the joists. Do the job correctly.

Batty

See Andy's picture, thats how I'd do it if notches are already there, just do it , don't worry about it. Mechanical protection , no probs. Millions of houses like it.

Aint they gotta be 50mm deep now?? and youd have to work out grouping factors if you bunched them together whilst making your cable selection?? hth

have a look in the OSG gives a good diagram explaining it all. sorry cant remeber the page number.

7.3.1 OSG

A cable passing through a joist or ceiling support shall:

i) be at least 50mm from the top or bottom, as appropriate,

ii) have earthed amouring or an earthed metal sheath,

iii) be enclosed in earthed steel conduit or trunking, or

iv) be provided with mechanical protection sufficent to prevent penetration of the cable by nails, screws and the like. (Note: the requirement to prevent penetration is difficult to meet).

they should be 50mm deep, but if notches already there, adding more holes may do more damage to joists, so you could use them. not sure if galv box lids would be big enough (with them being round)

A galv box lid isnt the strongest of metal but it would take some hammering to get a nail through?

they should be 50mm deep, but if notches already there, adding more holes may do more damage to joists, so you could use them. not sure if galv box lids would be big enough (with them being round)

They did look like they would manage it, I could always use a bit of metal trunking cut and drilled to suit.

TLSP1.JPG

Damn you Andy!

Damn you Andy!

your slow today patch!

The picture links not working now the Pics compress themselves!

The picture links not working now the Pics compress themselves!

i thought it was just my computer - firefox updated about the same time

ffs andyc found that well quick lol good stuff

I was linked within the minute!

i thought it was just my computer - firefox updated about the same time

No - me too

Wheres Admin when you need him

you can buy things made for the purpose but its your call. Maybe some would say bit rough lol maybe not

cheers

Its not that mate, I will be mechanically protecting the existing cables whatever the weather. Now if its ok by the regs to put mine in while i'm there I may aswell, but if its not then I wont be. O)

Archived