Cowboy / DIY P.M.E!!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris_k

Reaction score
Hi, I visited a property today to price up a couple of extra sockets. When i opened the cu cupboard and inspected the head there was what looked like a DIY pme earth.

A few strands of the neutral (prior to the cutout) had been split off, wrapped in elec tape and sent to an earth block.

The homeowner said he knew nothing about it. There was a seperate switch fuse that supplied an old shower. looked about 15yrs old ish.

It looked like the previous spark/diyer had created this `PME` as there is no other earth.

As this is before the head surely this is the responsabillity of the DNO?? Would they sort for free or want to charge the usual

Cheers for the swift responce.

What im thinking is, can i go ahead and do the works, sort bonding, tt the lot and, leave this `pme` exposed?

Cheers for the swift responce.What im thinking is, can i go ahead and do the works, sort bonding, tt the lot and, leave this `pme` exposed?
so long as the earth in CU not connected to the 'pme' just the rod - can't see a problem. You must report it.

You must report it.
Exactly... if it's dangerous or potentially dangerous they shouldn't charge you (or your customer) for it.

I usually call the emergency guys up here for jobs like that and they are generally pretty sharp and reasonable if you are pointing out a real concern.

As Barx said, it may be split con. the live and neutral cores will be insulated, the earth will be uninsulated & sleeved. if it is split con, it will be a TNS supply. any pics?