6mm shower

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musicspark

Reaction score
I have been asked to reconnect a shower which was installed "two or three years ago"

The customer is therefore reluctant to believe there can be anything wrong.

The shower is a "Myra Sport" on a 6mm cable It has a nice Merlin Guerin RCD next to the CU but on a 40A breaker. I realise that something has to change but I don't know the rating of this model of shower can anyone help?

Thanks Apache,

But that don't help much do it?

do you know if there is a plate anywhere inside this appliance which would give me the info ; or do I have to use a bag of bones to determine the wattage?

Perhaps a spiritualist or soothsayer? ; \

Thanks Apache,But that don't help much do it?
No. :)

Have you taken the cover off? No rating plate inside?

If you've got a clamp meter turn the other breakers off, whack it around a meter tail and measure it?!

what are u worried about puting the wrong size mcb

your way ahead of me Apache ,but the shower is not connected ,and there is as yet no wall for it to fix on to or bath for it to run into

:|

I have been asked to reconnect a shower which was installed "two or three years ago" The customer is therefore reluctant to believe there can be anything wrong.

The shower is a "Myra Sport" on a 6mm cable It has a nice Merlin Guerin RCD next to the CU but on a 40A breaker. I realise that something has to change but I don't know the rating of this model of shower can anyone help?
Not sure why you are saying something has to change??

any way...

as Apache said.. Mira Sport? what power rating is it?

e.g...

http://www.mirashowers.co.uk/onlinecatalog/results.htm?sectionName=Electrichttp://www.mirashowers.co.uk/onlinecatalog/results.htm?sectionName=Electric showers&filter[bRAND_NAME]=Sport

6.0mm cable, clipped direct could carry 47Amps...

table 6F page 134 on-site guide..

And according to table 7.1 page 50 on-site-guide

a 40Amp 6.0mm circuit (inst method C) can be upto 40m long!

so 40amp MCB could provide power for 40x230 = 9.2kWatt.

So if your cable is clipped direct, the run is less than 40m

and the shower is 9.0kw or less...

what needs to change??