Cable Knife and Cable Stripping

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidelectrix

Reaction score
Can someone give me some practical advice about stripping cable.

This probably sounds too basic a question but i really do want to make sure i am doing it correctly so that i dont nick / score / cut any insulation on cables.

I am doing my first year ie C&G 2330 level 2 and the method i have been shown for stripping cable on twin and earth ( FT & CPC ) is as follows :

Use a cable knife to score a line around the cable when you want to strip the outer insulation down to.

Use side cutters and cut into end of cable so that the end is split...looks a bit like a V shape,

then grab hold of the Earth/CPC and pull it down towards the line scored with the cable knife

then either hold cable which is clipped to wall and give the other end a sharp tug / pull and pull away the outer insulation or

peel away the outer insulation at the line scored with a cable knife

My question is this....Does anyone agree with this as being the best method..or does anyone have a better way of stripping the outer pvc insulation ?

Any tips would be greatfully received.

Also if i have a twin and earth cable already clipped to a wall and say 130mm of cable in the backbox...whats the best way of stripping the outer insulation without damaging,nicking or cutting any of the other cables/ conductors ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hia David there are a few better ways than using a knife (safety issues)

One would be to snip up the middle of the cable at the end to expose a bit of the CPC. Then use combi pliers to tear the insulation to the desired length, then trim it wth cutters.

Or buy a purpose made sheath cutter.

AndyGuiness Drink

Personally i dont normally use a knife but at the college i am going to they make us use a cable knife.

i had fun n games stripping the cable in a back box due to limit of space for the knife to move about but am ok if the cable is free and not in a backbox.

I can partly see that a knife has some advantage bcoz if i score the sheath then u can just bend the outer and pull of the insualtion but when its in a back box i dont find it so easy.

i got told by a few people and this is what i do,

One would be to snip up the middle of the cable at the end to expose a bit of the CPC. like zeespark says, then use side cutters to pull the earth down.

another spark told me that can strech the earth and to run a knife between nutral and earth towards the earth, this dose work but i will end up sliting my wrist,

a coprimise is to pull the earth just enough then grip all the cores and pull

I was taught to push a knife into the end of the cable pointing at the cpc, cut 2-3cm into it, much the same as Tom1's method, seperate the earth & rip the outer insulation back by pulling live & neutral in opposite directions.

Does anybody use automatic cable strippers in the trade or are they strictly DIY?

Does anybody use automatic cable strippers in the trade or are they strictly DIY?
brilliant tool and used daily but not to be used for the outer sheath

I am saddened that people who appear to be training/working in the electrical trade don't have dexterity to strip cable with a knife without damaging themselves or the cable.

This is a basic & core skill in my view.

Never seen anyone use a knife to strip T/E in my life TBH . Snip into the end, grip core and earth with sidecutters , other core with fingers , pull apart and snip sheath off at desired length.

You can also use the earth to rip down the insuation , its frowned upon by lecturers but who cares , its never ,ever cropped up as a problem . You'll be there for ever pratting about with a knife, save it for the SWA,s .

I am saddened that people who appear to be training/working in the electrical trade don't have dexterity to strip cable with a knife without damaging themselves or the cable. This is a basic & core skill in my view.
not saying i cant, their is just more chance of injury

as for strippers all kinds are great except for fat ones:D,

but its just another tool in the pouch, swoping and changeing. they are good though

i have a cheap set of strippers for outer sheath. got them for a job with 150+ sockets to second fix. since then they have been used for the odd CU, but thats it

Obviously I'm out of step (nothing new there!), I always strip T&E with a knife and consider cutting into the end and pulling cores apart a bit rough to be honest, still each to their own!

Obviously I'm out of step (nothing new there!), I always strip T&E with a knife and consider cutting into the end and pulling cores apart a bit rough to be honest, still each to their own!
i'd wager your in the minority rig