DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.

Number of sockets question

GreekIslandLover

having an argument at work with the boss (as one does) about how you count the number of sockets. I claimed that you counted socket outlets as one irrespective if they were singles, doubles or triples. I remember the OSG said this. Unforunately I couldn't find it in the new OSG to beat him up with.

Been doing some reading, and in the brown version p151 it says "The number of socket outlets ....... each socket outlet of a twin or muliple socket outlet being regarded as one socket outlet". Now in the new version p158 the last bit has been dropped. Anyone know if we count doubles as one outlet for testing nowadays, and anyone know a reg to settle this one?

Dont know any reg to backup, but i've always been told count each thing you can plug into, so...

Single = 1

Double = 2

Triple = 3

Single Switched via spur (Appliances) = 1

Could be wrong, but it's there test sheets so I do it there way.

I claimed that you counted socket outlets as one irrespective if they were singles, doubles or triples.

Thats the way I was told to count them, but can't find anything in the OSG to back it up.

you count them as connections to the circuit. a single or double socket still only has 1 connection to circuit. dont have regs here to look for anything to do with this though

IET forms don't ask for number of outlets, NIC ones do, therefore you'll need to consult the NIC Regs (well they think they write them!) rather than IET (IEE) ones.

IET forms don't ask for number of outlets, NIC ones do, therefore you'll need to consult the NIC Regs (well they think they write them!) rather than IET (IEE) ones.

Better still, use IET forms and save on ink!

A socket is one outlet, no matter how many gangs it has.

Archived