Undertile heating

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MalcyB

Reaction score
Hi all

Has anyone had any experience with undertile heating?

A customer wants some installed in his kitchen, and I'm wondering which would be the best to go for. The customer is asking for Homelux from B&Q, I think the Warmup from Topps Tiles looks a better option.

I welcolme any opinions.

Thanks

Malc

I use the warmup in my house; and have fitted it for customers for over 5 years.

I`ve also used this "ribbon matting" stuff, on a large conservatory (5.4 KW)!!! Nightmare stuff to use.

Hint - go for about 60-70% of the amount of heater they want you to have - it`ll be plenty :)

Warmup T-stats seem to be the best on the market - can have issues with contactor firing for large floors though.

HTH

KME

if you need any info - I`se here......

I've used Warmup , seems fine. Don't think I'd be buying it from Topps Tiles though, you'll be paying retail. Wholesalers do the floor heating. Lay it just before tiles go down so people are not walking all over it. And as in previous thread , they advise you check it for continuity after fixing, I put mains on it and make sure it gets hot, get customer to do same.

Deke

Should just add. Don`t forget the floor stat. Worth taking a photo, to remember where it is IF it ever goes faulty.

If you have access to a multimeter, test the floor probe too - 14Kohms approx; altering when you put it in your hand to warm it up.

What we used to do, to protect it from careless tilers, was to put a skim coat of self-levelling compound over it; this also helps to distribute the heat evenly. Tile over that; it`s easier for the tilers, too!

I usually leave a dinky test meter attached to the ends of the wire, and tell the tiles to check the reading every so often.

KME

I'll be doing the tiling so there should be no problem with damage.

From what I've heard, Warmup tends to be favoured by most. The cable looks to be the easier to lay than the matting, is that the case?

Malc

I have installed warmup and devi mat, both are about the same to install, I always put the floor stat in conduit so can be replaced in the event of it failing CJS