88 members have voted

1. 1. well?

• Snip end, pull earth
    • snip end, score sheath, pull earth
    • score sheath. dont pull earth
    • other

so how do you strip T&E

cheese wire method for me !!

Score around finished length, cut up middle (one side of sheath, not right through), peel sheath off. Simples ;)

I use side cutters, snip into end pull earth with side cutters snip end of sheath.

Trim to required length and strip with side cutters.

Not as neat as a stanly knife score but much faster.

On 10mm I score and do what Riggy does.

sometimes pull the earth but have a pair of ck automatic strippers that i use most of the time as get perfect lengths each time

Teeth - everytime :D

Teeth - everytime :D

yours, or the (slave) animals you work with?! (anyone else think the vet has a rat ready to eat the insulation off the cables?)

Lightly score at finished length, put knife blade at end of cable and at 90 degrees between N and E angled slightly to E, slide knife up to cut, easy and neat.

Cheers Steve

I snip end and pull earth (For speed as mentioned above). Though doing this on 10mm twin tends to make a mess of earth so struggle to sleeve. So on 10mm twin I pull Line/phase/live/whatever the f*** you want to call it OR Neutral.

i was tought in college to lightly score the outer sheath at the desired length, then use a side cutters to cut the end to expose the earth, then pull the earth down to the score mark

• 2 weeks later...
Lightly score at finished length, put knife blade at end of cable and at 90 degrees between N and E angled slightly to E, slide knife up to cut, easy and neat.

Cheers Steve

i dont want to be picky roys, but that aint 90 degrees!;\

those cutters look like they would struggle to cut paper!

• 2 months later...

Read this ...... what do you guys recon???

Stripping TE by using the the cpc can stretch the unprotected cpc and lead to thinning of the cross sectional area, which in turn can affect the cables resistance.

Yes this is true but the csa will only change very slightly due to the force applied.

Lets suppose we have a 1m length of TE with 1mm cpc.

Using stress/strain relationship for copper ( Young's modulus) then a force of 10000Newtons will be required to stretch the cpc by 0.09mm ie 9 hundredths of a mm.!! The force can be equated back to a weight of 1000Kg.

So if a weight of 1000Kg is applied to the cpc then it stretches 0.09mm, this is hardly going to affect the cross sectional area of the cpc.

Tthe force required to strip the TE is most likely to be around 100N, ie 10Kg, this will stretch the cpc by 0.0009mm. This will result in the cpc cross section changing very very very very very slightly.

Therefore using the cpc to strip TE is hardly going to affect the cross section of the cpc when using it to strip the outer sheath. This in turn will not affect the cpc resistance either.

next time you strip T&E, once you have pulled the earth from the sheath, put it next to conductors and see how much it has grown

[quote name='Andy

try it with LSF twin and watch it grow loads.

I was about to say that. I remember doing this as an apprentice when I started working for a new company. I had been taught by the bloke I worked for previously to run the knife down the cable using the earth as a guide. One of the fellas at the company I started working for wasn't happy with that and made me swap to the snip\pull earth method. I did some testing, on the end of a full drum so it wasn;t pulling the earth from the other end of an offcut, and it does indeed stretch a fair distance.

Also called the cheese wire method ;)

Well......

Snip end; but grip the two halves with each hand, and pull apart, to score mark. slip line conductors from outer, and snip off.

Unless I have the "auto" strippers handy - then I just use them.....

Well......

Snip end; but grip the two halves with each hand, and pull apart, to score mark. slip line conductors from outer, and snip off.

Unless I have the "auto" strippers handy - then I just use them.....

Hi KME

What auto strippers do you use?? out of interest and would you recommend them??

Thanks

Matt

The "CK" ones mate.

TBH, no, I wouldn`t get `em again. Fiddly, faffy, skin-nipping awkward things.

I`ll stick to the olde-fashionedy way, than you very much.

The "CK" ones mate.

TBH, no, I wouldn`t get `em again. Fiddly, faffy, skin-nipping awkward things.

I`ll stick to the olde-fashionedy way, than you very much.

These?

ShowImage.aspx?Type=3&File=T3942.jpg&Man=CEKA&Size=200&Save=17

Linky picture

These?

ShowImage.aspx?Type=3&File=T3942.jpg&Man=CEKA&Size=200&Save=17

I've got some of those, they're pretty good, but I'd never try and use them to get the outer sheath off a T&E, not least because you'd not get the last inch or so off, and also I doubt you'd just slip the outer off anyway on many cables.

TL04623-40.jpg

they say for 2.5, but they also work on 1.5 & 3c&e

and accoring to the website, they are no longer made

Archived