Stripping T&E

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use side cutters, snip into end pull earth with side cutters snip end of sheath.

Trim to required length and strip with side cutters.

Not as neat as a stanly knife score but much faster.

On 10mm I score and do what Riggy does.

Lightly score at finished length, put knife blade at end of cable and at 90 degrees between N and E angled slightly to E, slide knife up to cut, easy and neat.

Cheers Steve

I snip end and pull earth (For speed as mentioned above). Though doing this on 10mm twin tends to make a mess of earth so struggle to sleeve. So on 10mm twin I pull Line/phase/live/whatever the f*** you want to call it OR Neutral.

i was tought in college to lightly score the outer sheath at the desired length, then use a side cutters to cut the end to expose the earth, then pull the earth down to the score mark

4053462173_23098a4b70_o.gif

Read this ...... what do you guys recon???

Stripping TE by using the the cpc can stretch the unprotected cpc and lead to thinning of the cross sectional area, which in turn can affect the cables resistance.

Yes this is true but the csa will only change very slightly due to the force applied.

Lets suppose we have a 1m length of TE with 1mm cpc.

Using stress/strain relationship for copper ( Young's modulus) then a force of 10000Newtons will be required to stretch the cpc by 0.09mm ie 9 hundredths of a mm.!! The force can be equated back to a weight of 1000Kg.

So if a weight of 1000Kg is applied to the cpc then it stretches 0.09mm, this is hardly going to affect the cross sectional area of the cpc.

Tthe force required to strip the TE is most likely to be around 100N, ie 10Kg, this will stretch the cpc by 0.0009mm. This will result in the cpc cross section changing very very very very very slightly.

Therefore using the cpc to strip TE is hardly going to affect the cross section of the cpc when using it to strip the outer sheath. This in turn will not affect the cpc resistance either.

I was about to say that. I remember doing this as an apprentice when I started working for a new company. I had been taught by the bloke I worked for previously to run the knife down the cable using the earth as a guide. One of the fellas at the company I started working for wasn't happy with that and made me swap to the snip\pull earth method. I did some testing, on the end of a full drum so it wasn;t pulling the earth from the other end of an offcut, and it does indeed stretch a fair distance.
Also called the cheese wire method ;)

Well......

Snip end; but grip the two halves with each hand, and pull apart, to score mark. slip line conductors from outer, and snip off.

Unless I have the "auto" strippers handy - then I just use them.....