Anton du Beke

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exbdc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't watch Strictly Come Dancing but it's been impossible to avoid the hype over Anton du Beke's use of the "P" word. For crying out loud, this actually made the national news this week.

Have we become oversensitive to certain words appertaining to ethnic minorities or are we just pandering to the PC brigade & are frightened of upsetting our foreign bretheren?

If I can't go to a P-shop or use a p-taxi I'm going to have to go a long way to get milk on a morning & have to walk home from town on a Saturday night.

I grew up going to the P-shop. I don't think it's offensive.

Political correctness drives me mad. We need a sense of patriotism in this country. I suspect that the people who we think are offended couldn't care less. It's the unnecessary censorship that makes me mad. Lets get on with our lives and our culture and immigrants have to live with it. Just as I would respect another country's culture.

Do Admin on here preclude the use of pejorative words, especially those beginning with a P?

What about Pikey, Pole or Paddy? Is Pakistani ok?

My brother got in a fight with an Indian lad years ago and me mom went round his house. The indian lads mom opened her door and all she said was " please dont call me a Paki!". This is the truth.

Now I am not racist at all, have worked with loads of different cultures, ethnic backgrounds and enjoyed learning the different beliefs etc but the most racism I have found is within the ethnic communities themselves and this is where it gets very complicated!

I sometimes refer to my dog as a 'little black *****'. Is that racist? (she knows I don't mean it ;) )

PICT0001-2-1.jpg

Say hello to Mink :D

Do Admin on here preclude the use of pejorative words, especially those beginning with a P?What about Pikey, Pole or Paddy? Is Pakistani ok?

My brother got in a fight with an Indian lad years ago and me mom went round his house. The indian lads mom opened her door and all she said was " please dont call me a Paki!". This is the truth.

Now I am not racist at all, have worked with loads of different cultures, ethnic backgrounds and enjoyed learning the different beliefs etc but the most racism I have found is within the ethnic communities themselves and this is where it gets very complicated!
When ethnic minorities practice what we would call racism it is called tribalism. Evidently it is OK to discriminate against people from a different religion, region, sect or tribe as long as you are not white.

Haven't the Aussies & Yanks been calling us Poms & Limeys for years? Don't see the Welsh, Scots & Irish complaining at being called Taffies, Jocks & Paddies.

This particular incident is a publicity storm in a teacup. I dont regard myself as a racist, but do agree to a small extent that we have gone too far in political correctness, and that itself is hampering further progress. We have come a long way in race relations since "love thy neighbour" - although that was an attempt at helping by exposing prejudice for what it was. However, we now have the PC brigade that want to rename Xmas as "Winterval" without asking if either the ethnic minorities or indigenous population think it's a good idea. I gather most Moslems LIKE Xmas as they regard it as a bit of jollity at a dreary time of year. Decent telly, plus all the lights. In the main, they would agree that we should keep our festivals and respect that - unlike the PC brigade that claim to be acting for them. So shoot anyone teaching political correctness and "Diversity" and we'd all get along a lot better.