Complaint to the bbc

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thought i would share this with you guys and girls,it has given me renewed faith in the power of email.

{Complaint:} The cowboy trap episode twenty clearly screened a banner

>stating that people should only use a NICEIC registered company or

>electrical contractor.

>This statement is totally biased and gives customers the impression that

>those of us registered with other government registered electrical schemes

>(of which there are at least five) are not able to carry out electrical work

> to a high standard like the niceic members.

>This could result in my work load decreasing as many people would listen to

>your biased report portrayed in this program and as a result not use a

>electrician on another scheme such as (ELECSA/ELECTRICAL CONTRACTORS

>ASSOCIATION/or BRITISH STANDARDS to name but three.

>Your false claim is a disgrace to the rest of us honest electricians and i

>want a amendment inserted into this program to explain that there are

>alternatives to the niceic and these should be listed with immediate effect.

>I feel your lack of research in this matter should be put right and if not i

> intend to send a letter of complaint to the chief of the BBC as this

>misinformation to your viewers cannot be allowed to slip through the net in

>these difficult times for the construction industry. Yours Angrily X(X( X(

The reply i received

Thank you for your email regarding 'Cowboy Trap' on 2 October.

I'm very sorry that the on-screen caption seemed to suggest that all qualified electricians had to be registered to NICEIC, the subsidiary of a registered charity.

The programme's honest intention was simply to highlight that people should only use qualified electrical electricians, and NICEIC was the example chosen to illustrate where viewers could find such registered lists. The caption was not intended to suggest that NICEIC was the only relevant recommended Competent Persons Scheme.

Nevertheless, please be assured that the programme team have removed the caption from any future repeats of this edition and have been reminded of the need to be careful not to be seen to single out any one particular scheme over another on future programmes.

We're grateful for your feedback and I've also registered your comments on our audience log. This is circulated widely within the BBC and made available to many BBC staff, including members of the BBC Executive Board, channel controllers and other senior managers.

Thanks again for taking the time to contact us with the strength of your concerns.

Regards

Alec Mackenzie

BBC Complaints

Applaud SmileyApplaud Smiley Well done Beeb a reply with some action for a change.

Surely this does not go far enough. What about the damage that has already been done by the broadast of the original programme? A live on-air apology would be more appropriate together with a disclaimer on the BBC website.

Have you thought about taking this to the TV regulator or an ombudsman?

Surely this does not go far enough. What about the damage that has already been done by the broadast of the original programme? A live on-air apology would be more appropriate together with a disclaimer on the BBC website.Have you thought about taking this to the TV regulator or an ombudsman?
Sorry but i feel i may have achieved a little something here,but life is to short to go the whole hog although your suggestions are totally right and proper.

I tried this with a channel four program once(same complaint) but nothing changed.

I do feel the beeb at least have done something positive.

i posted a email on here a while back my sister wrote to the BBC regarding homes under the hammer saying the same thing repeatedly, they said the same thing its on the log, obviously no one reads these logs then.

I didn't have a lot of luck with them when I complained about the rogue trader program and taking the fronts of boilers. But well done.

Batty

Well Done Sirsparkabit.

But I have to agree withexbdc.

Simply removing it from the future airings, although is great - Is not enough. The damage is done and as long as all Television Companies continue to point everyone to the NICEIC - the others will have no chance.

Well Done Sirsparkabit.But I have to agree withexbdc.

Simply removing it from the future airings, although is great - Is not enough. The damage is done and as long as all Television Companies continue to point everyone to the NICEIC - the others will have no chance.
Darn it i just renewed with elecsa again:coatheadbang

Should of joined that charity bunchROTFWLROTFWLROTFWL

But this isn`t just the BBC, is it? If you do a "street survey", I`d guess that 70% of people wouldn`t know ANY of them; and, of the remaining 30%, odds are that at least three quarters would only know NICEIC; even though most know it when they see it.

Which, TBH, was one of the main reasons for joining them in the first place. I could envisage having the ELECSA logo on my van, and people continually asking what it meant!

SSAB, well done for your complaint; but if you want to be a member of a widely known & (for the most part) respected organisation, NICEIC is the only choice, in my opinion.

KME

I don't think they are a charity anymore , Sirsparky. Someone will know.
They are now run on a more business type footing, but I think they are still a charity, bit like the National Trust - 'how much for cream tea'

Thinkyou were right to complain, but at least the public might get the idea that electricians need to be registered, which is a start.

Latest posts