Finally decided on NIC

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cirrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I am officially making the break and going self employed in the new yr. I have to join NIC as is stipulated by the company I will be mainly subbying to. So, I think Domestic Installer is my route as don't do much else these days. Can someone tell me what I will need for my assessment. So far I think I need to present the following:

Copy of pub liability (2M)

Copies of quals

H&S policy???????

Tester calibration log??????

Complaints procedure / file??????

Anything I have missed? Also, I interpret the fees for the year as

Well, I am officially making the break and going self employed in the new yr. I have to join NIC as is stipulated by the company I will be mainly subbying to. So, I think Domestic Installer is my route as don't do much else these days. Can someone tell me what I will need for my assessment. So far I think I need to present the following:Copy of pub liability (2M)

Copies of quals

H&S policy???????

Tester calibration log??????

Complaints procedure / file??????

Anything I have missed? Also, I interpret the fees for the year as

I had my DI assessment last month ,the assessor wanted to see the folder with all info that special location meentioned.He just had a quick flick through it but was more interested in c&g qualifications and big red book.

hope this helps ,good luck with assessment

Thanks guys. Am a bit confused now though as I know I need to show the assessor a major and minor job (of which there have been plenty) but I have always tested and certificated the jobs by filling in an EIC which I then give my boss and he issues the certs (for my private work) ;) May sound dumb but can I use these certs (already NIC) when he comes out?

No, I will have my own work (private) put forward to the assessor but what I am saying is that I tested and inspected the work, my boss simply used his NICEIC registration to issue the cert. He is down as the qualified supervisor and I am the installing electrician. Ultimately he is saying that my installation is checked and up to the requirements of BS7671

the work you show him must be your own with EIC completed by you. it has no connection to your boss. the work should also have been notified to LABC, although you could always notify once you pass

the work you show him must be your own with EIC completed by you. it has no connection to your boss. the work should also have been notified to LABC, although you could always notify once you pass
But the work and EIC is completed by me. Just then handed to another party for him to issue the cert. Just don't see why the hell I should have to pay LABC

cant say for definite, but he probably wont bother checking its notified to LABC. he is there to assess your work. although if its really bad/dangerous then he may ask about it

Didn't someone on here go through this before?

I am pretty certain that he said on the assessment, the assessor asked if the job was notified to LABC?

Where's Patch? He'll know / Find it. :D

Ok, read it right first time. So won't the assessor want to see proof of LABC being notified?
You are being assessed as to your knowledge and competence & compliance of BS7671 AND associated health & safety related issues.. NOT Part P building regs!!!

i.e.

do the work good workmanship and proper materials ect...

Issue proper certs verifying your work is safe!

Have a H&S procedure in place

Understand "Safe isolation"

Have procedures in place to verify your test instruments are working ok.

Have a complaints procedure.

Fully label & document ALL relevant point applicable to the installation..

e.g. Next inspection cert date etc..

etc...

I personally have NEVER being asked if any particular job has beeg notified or not.

BUT I have been reasonably thoroughly checked & tested as to my understanding of BS7671.

and checking of copies of certs I have written & issued.

Remember:-

YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE A MEMBER OF ANY SCHEME TO ISSUE ANY ELECTRICAL CERTIFICATE!!!!

IF your work is within the scope of part P there are three paths for either

a) DIY, + LABC test & Cert

B) Competent, Issue EIC + LABC issue PART P compliance.

c) Scheme member SELF cert, & approved body sort out Part P compliance cert after you notify via their method!

So if you are not already a scheme memeber... options a) or B) would be your choices...

and IF you have some C&G qual's & are thus "competent" you can do the EIC bit write, sign & issue,

just get LABC to do their compliance cert! :) ;)

As the others have said...

they need to assess YOUR work & YOUR certs,

Not another businesses that you are working for.

It could have detrimental affects upon your boss if you showed your assessor some of his serial no's certificates...

Some may suggest that you could possibly..

get some of the none- serial number Green Nic certificates..

copy all the info from your previously issued "Employers Cert"

and then show the assessor your "green copy";) ; \

But of course I could never comment or endorse such an action!!! :eek: ] :)

One other thought....

has this job you boss signed off already got a sticker on the fusebox with the NICEIC approved contractor logo on it? cuz that could be a bit of a givaway!?

really SL

i didn't know you could be accepted as competent by labc unless you was part of a scheme?

so whats the difference between the 2?

you pay labc notification fee if your not scheme registered?

if so how much ?

is each job a cost when scheme registered?

One other thought....

has this job you boss signed off already got a sticker on the fusebox with the NICEIC approved contractor logo on it? cuz that could be a bit of a givaway

No, luckily I have never used the NIC stickers - just generic ones.

Thank you for a thorough reply SL - very much appreciated. I have some green forms on disc so I think that is the way forward.

i am going nic and i am going to ask this,

major job is power to outbuilding,

going to see if they will let me,

1 wire it all up except in cu

2 get assesor round

3 do dead test

4 wire in cu and do live test

its at my brothers so he wont mind not energising the circuit for a few weeks

if they do u could do something simlair in your house or mates house