ring spur

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i cooked up a new question. spur off socket on the ring to a dule back box containing 2 switch fcu

is that wrong? the maths checks out

Surely if its a spur from a ring, then in your example, the only way to connect both fcu's would mean that it would then be a spur from a spur.

So, starting with the socket connected as part of a ring, spurred to the first fcu, from first fcu on to another fcu (regardless of its proximity to the first fcu) would be a spur from a spur, and therefore un acceptable?

the way it was looking was a spur from a spur, which is un acceptable, however what got me thinking as its two 13amp fcu, its the same as 1 double socket, 26 amps on 27 amp cable, not that it would pull that much anyway

washer and tumble dryer under worktop putting 2 fcu above. there is only 1 socket which needs to be kept.

i will find a way round it

the way it was looking was a spur from a spur, which is un acceptable, however what got me thinking as its two 13amp fcu, its the same as 1 double socket, 26 amps on 27 amp cable, not that it would pull that much anyway
a double socket is only rated 13A between both outlets. check the back of just about any socket and it will say '13A'

isn't this socket on the ring? Then just add both fused spurs onto the ring?

you shouldnt take 2 spurs from same point. although you could extend the ring to include the 2 SFCU. or take a spur from 2 different sockets
I meant it as in, adding each fused spur plate onto the ring circuit, not spuring off the same socket if you get me.

So each fused spur is on the ring final circuit.

thats what i will do, thanks for the advise, i over think things sometimes and should keep it simple

Not sure i'd be keen on putting a washer and drier on a spur bearing mind they're both high demand appliances which are often on together. On 2.5mm you could potentially get very close to max capacity of the cable.