2391 practical

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revjames

'funny' man™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have done the 2391 course material on a 4 day intensive course. Sitting theory on 22nd Oct - not too worried about that. More concernend about the practical exam for some reason.

I am quite happy with finding the 12 faults on a DB and finding 2 faults with an insulation tester, there is also a test to do with 'interpreting earth loop impedance tests' that I'm not sure of, but the daunting task is the big test rig.

Anyone any suggestions, books etc that will help prepare?

When i did the 2391 i passed the practical with flying colours but failed the theory. I was only told to study the guidance notes 3. Good luck anyway.

Read through all of the test procedures in either the OSG or GN3, and if you can set up a practice board with DB, 1 Ring, 1 Radial, 1 One Way Lighting Circuit, and 1 Two way Lighting Circuit and practice testing them over and over according to the test procedures in the correct procedure. The testing aspect is all about familiarity, you will be nervous and nee to have the test procedures as second nature.

Of course if you do a lot of testing anyway it will be a breeze.

The version in the exam will be a three phase board with some circuits off, and a single phase submain, from memory there is a motor starter so need to be familiar with what to do with that, a dimmer which will require linking out.

Other thing to have down pat is your isolation procedures. I use a board as described above to get our guys ready for there exams, and they all feed back that it is an enourmous help, as you get limited rehearsals on the intense courses.

Thanks for the replies. I sat the theory paper under exam conditions (the Dec 08 one) just to see and did it in an hour and a half and got 76% so quite confident on the theory, I am from a heavy industryu background so things like 3 phase boards, motor starters and isolation procedures are 2nd nature. I have done some testing and inspections but not to these standards and these forms so all a bit new to me. I will read up on the OSG and GN3.

I am not sure you would need to do 2392 is you pass 2391, my understanding is 2392 is a cut down version of 2391 (mainly single phase) and is used as a pre 2391 course also.

So if this is all true, I think you would be better investing your time and money on another course after completing 2391?

Either way, I have no test experiance. a couple of years working as a mate but that I dont think is of much help as was not testing related work really. I have some good books I am reading up on and once I feel more confident ill be signing up for 2391.

The above comment about motors and so on are a worry! I better read up on those.

hi

the "big rig" is a periodic, so you can test in any order you like......now the easiest way is this:

1 incoming polarity test and safe isolation

2 Ze

3 pfc

4 R1+R2 all the radials on the 3 phase board( to do 3 phase socket, push contactor in with screwdriver)

5 R1+R2 the ring

(add R1+R2s to Ze to get circuit Zs results)

6 Do IR test on 3 phase board not forgetting to test at the 3 phase socket "backwards" to starter

7 transfer Zs of sub main to become Zdb of 1 phase board.

8 Do R1+R2s of radial circuits on little board

( add these to your previously obtained Zdb figure to get final Zs figs)

9 Do IR on little board not forgetting to work 2-way switching

10 ask examiner can you power up and then do RCD trip times not forgetting final button test

Does this help you out OP?

Now thats exactly what I was after Doc, Tom - I have been assured that the only prerequisite for me to do the 2391 was the 2382 17th ed which I have.
Yup your right, my bad, I thought u said you was doing 2392 after the 2391 :eek:

Tom,

I am doing 2391-10 at the moment 'Inspection & Testing' There is also a course called 2391 -20 'design & verification' which I am doing straight after. I am also doing the 2393 building regs. The only reason that I am able to do these is because I have recently been made redundant and had a grant to do some study which I have made good use of.

James

revjames and tom79,me too!! need more advice please

thanks
Yes almost ready for mine, but I am going to get a tester 1st (be nice to use my tester for experiance), also my local college want

hi

i think a great learning tool is to test your house as there is no pressure....

on a saturday morning when the missus goes out to do the shopping print out a pir and say, "right today, i am going to get the mains out of the way" so you would fill out most of the first two pages and...... do.....

1 a safe isolation, 5 mins

2 a Ze, 5 mins- DONT FORGET THE EARTHING CONDUCTOR RE-CON

3 a pfc test, 5 mins

put the power back on and have a brew and reflect.....

next saturday, you could do say the upstairs lights and so on.-rushing to deadlines is where you slip up and you would be amazed at the problems you will uncoverheadbang

I will be doing my pract on the 3rd Dec does the assesor give any indication if you have passed it?

I will be doing my pract on the 3rd Dec does the assesor give any indication if you have passed it?
You should know on the day if you have passed the practical, it is the theory element you have to wait for the result of

if you fail practical or theory test, do you get an option to just re-sit that failed part?

cheers

if you fail practical or theory test, do you get an option to just re-sit that failed part?cheers
Yes you do Tom, can just resit the part you failed.