2391 groan

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the doctor

Part P Doctor ™
Reaction score
hi all

i have done a couple of postings on here tonight sort of leading up to this and avoiding x-factor:coat

i work at my local college doing most everything these days from 2330 through to 2382......

we ran our first pilot for the 2391 in july and i had 6 candidates.

at the last minute 2 didnt turn up and so i had a nice little class of 4.

the college has a policy of vetting all potential visitors so they are deemed up to it, which i guess is fair enough. the last place in the private sector i worked at had 2391 entry requirements of:

1 a pulse

hi andy

thank you,

it is not sour grapes....i am realistic in my expectations and know that we always do not get what we want, but, these guys were strong, very strong.

i have been doing this a for years and get a feel for results- i reckoned 3 out of 4 dead certs and one good chance....

Personally I think the whole exam process for 2391 is too academic, I am used to doing exams, but many people aren't and my view is that it would be possible to be red hot in your ability to execute the job in a real situation, but struggle to pass 2391.

I work with many people who you could ask to perform a PIR on a complex industrial premises, who would excute it to the highest degree.

Ask them to write down a description of the tests etc and they would struggle.

I believe that it would be completely possible to design a multiple choice format exam that tested people to the correct degree. That way we wouldn't have to wait so long for the results either.

Just my view.

Personally I think the whole exam process for 2391 is too academic, I am used to doing exams, but many people aren't and my view is that it would be possible to be red hot in your ability to execute the job in a real situation, but struggle to pass 2391.I work with many people who you could ask to perform a PIR on a complex industrial premises, who would excute it to the highest degree.

Ask them to write down a description of the tests etc and they would struggle.

I believe that it would be completely possible to design a multiple choice format exam that tested people to the correct degree. That way we wouldn't have to wait so long for the results either.

Just my view.
Maybe also people with lots of experiance will have a disadvantage with the theory (using non c&g terms and so on out of habit for example)??

I guess its common in all things, even driving. many of us might fail the theory on driving if we had to re take it! but we are good drivers.

the college i go to are claiming that C&G now require you to do 2392 before 2391.no one i talk to can tell me if this is the case or my college are just pulling a fast one.anyway i have my 2392 starting january.

the college i go to are claiming that C&G now require you to do 2392 before 2391.no one i talk to can tell me if this is the case or my college are just pulling a fast one.anyway i have my 2392 starting january.
Phone city and guilds and ask them. They will know the answer

Maybe also people with lots of experiance will have a disadvantage with the theory (using non c&g terms and so on out of habit for example)??I guess its common in all things, even driving. many of us might fail the theory on driving if we had to re take it! but we are good drivers.
I Agree My blood boiled when I read a comment from the chief examiner that it was unacceptable that people still refered to the Electricity at work regulations 1989 as the Electricity at work act 1989.

My view of this is it just pedantic nonsense, as long as someone knows it exists and the contents of the document, and more importantly is capable of executing installations within it's framework, who cars if they get one word that effectively means the same thing in the title wrong !!

I also disagree with the refusal to acknowledge that multifunction testers exist !

I would think it would be more pertinant to ask in the modern enviroment to ask what instrument would you use, or if using a multifunction tester what settings would you select.

I will get off my box now :)

i have just booked my 2391... and i aint done my 2392.slightly worried now!
Sorry Danny not wishing to freak you out, just put the work in with your terminology and revision and sure you will do fine, it is a good qualification just expresing a few views that in my opinion could make it better.