spurs spurs spurs

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sellers

Reaction score
If a fused spur is on the ring circuit. can I add another fused spur onto this?

Why I ask is, I've been rewiring the socket circuits at a property and a shed on the side of the house is off the upstairs ringmain, (conduit out of back of a bedroom socket outside then bend down into shed. 2 sockets, sfcu for single light.

I wanted to add a fused spur onto the ring next to this socket and come out of this into the shed.

If you have got a fused spur then you can add as many sockets as you need from this, however being sensible you will be restricted by load and cable length due to Vd.

However Sellers can you clarify -

1.are you intending in taking two spurred radial ccts from one socket outlet point? Cos this would be against regs.

2. the original fused spur is wired into the ring and you want this to feed 2 radials into the shed..why would you want to do this?

3. I think you are saying that at present a spur is taken from a bedroom socket which is not fused down and is supplying 2 socket outlets and a lighting cct. So you want to rectify this by installing a SFCU, then yes this is better solution. However what about RCD protection as might need RCD protected SFCU.

If a fused spur is on the ring circuit. can I add another fused spur onto this?Why I ask is, I've been rewiring the socket circuits at a property and a shed on the side of the house is off the upstairs ringmain, (conduit out of back of a bedroom socket outside then bend down into shed. 2 sockets, sfcu for single light.

I wanted to add a fused spur onto the ring next to this socket and come out of this into the shed.
Absolutely nothing wrong with what you propose. The fuse in the first fcu will protect everything downstream against overload. As mentioned above look our for volt drop and Zs, although I assume it will be rcd protected.

If a fused spur is on the ring circuit. can I add another fused spur onto this?Why I ask is, I've been rewiring the socket circuits at a property and a shed on the side of the house is off the upstairs ringmain, (conduit out of back of a bedroom socket outside then bend down into shed. 2 sockets, sfcu for single light.

if the fused spur is wired as part of the ring (i.e doesnt have a single feed to it from another socket), then yes, you can take a spur from it. its no different from taking a spur from a socket.

spurs.jpg

This is what i propose.

The bottom bit is the ringmain. Originally it was just a socket on its own.

edit* its really small. On the doubles it says SO, and on the singles 13a FCU and 5a SFCU

i would agree thats ok as the first 13a fcu will be protecting the sockets and sfcu beyond it. will it be clipped direct? just wonder because i would have thought 1.5mm2 T&E would be fine from 13a fcu onwards. obviously depending on the distance covered,

wayne