Cu on it's side????

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meady

Reaction score
Need to fit a cu in a space which is only 300mm wide. The customer wants a dual rcd unit but the smallest I have found is 340mm. It will fit in if I side mount it but not sure if I should. Has anyone else fitted a cu like this to fit in a space and would it meet all regs? Personally I can't see a problem but I might be missing something.

http://www.meadelectricalservices.co.uk/

There would be nothing wrong with placing on its side, however it would look a bit odd.

If the customer is happy with this then it would be fine.

The only other alternative is to place one cu below another, splitting the circuits so as to avoid nuisance or inconveniant tripping.

There would be nothing wrong with placing on its side, however it would look a bit odd.If the customer is happy with this then it would be fine.

The only other alternative is to place one cu below another, splitting the circuits so as to avoid nuisance or inconveniant tripping.
Yeah that could work, so I'm assuming I would need to splitt the meter tails in a dp henly block. Would 16mm tails be ok for each board?

Depending on which boards you get you could put 25mm tails direct to db1 then use that as the main board to feed db2 via suitable breaker or direct link from the main terminals.

Personally I would use 25mm tails and 16mm earth for each board.

mem do a stacked split load, not sure if its up to 17th yet. I'v used them as dual tarriff and rcbos. less tham 300mm i think, Is the wylex 5+5 any good thought it was just over 300mm. will try to have a look later.

I've done this before in a cupboard with a split load board. Put all the labels on the correct way so they could be read normally.

Operationally there is no problem, just whether the client is happy from an aesthetic point of view.

mem do a stacked split load, not sure if its up to 17th yet. I'v used them as dual tarriff and rcbos. less tham 300mm i think, Is the wylex 5+5 any good thought it was just over 300mm. will try to have a look later.
the wylex boards are the ones I like to install, they are 340mm wide :-(

Funny enough I went to look at a job today and the CU is on it's side inside a 300mm kitchen unit looks odd but not a problem.

Chas

Here's one I did earlier..16th ed board, lower RCD fed from main isolator....

You could do it like this, but use RCBO's in the top CU!
Very nice, good idea for such a narrow gap :)