DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
  •  

Countdown To Christmas!

Cu change testing

sellers

Question

Just wanted to confirm a few things, do i test r1r2 at every point, ie all lighting points, or just the furthest?

If the kitchen is full off class 2 spot lights, and the earths on the t+e have not been linked through what is done here? Just a test at the switch?

12 answers to this question

I hope you don't mean connecting the earths to a double insulated fitting?:|

Obviously not but wiring still needs protection even if fitting doesn't.

Batty

test at each point, this will show up any errors and yes test to switch and mark it on the test certificate.

1 furthest point

2 Link them then test them.

Out of curiousity what form of CU are you installing bud?

AndyGuiness Drink

Wylex dual rcd. I've installed the cu just wanted to double check on the lighting testing as i have my assessment on wednesday. All the circuits tested out ok, just i tested the lights at the end not at each point. So i'll just do a retest tonight.

I would personally do a seperation of circuit conductors test on the lighting circuits to check for borrowed neutrals Sellers.

AndyGuiness Drink

By this do you mean do r1+r2 and then rN+r2 to check i have the correct neutral at each point? Also by the regs does a feed to a class 2 fitting need a cpc, i know people say then the cable is earthed but a class 2 appliance only has a 2core flex. Personaly i would connect the earths, but if someone else hasn't do i have to rectify during a cu change? Thanks folks

Andy™

if the circuits are on different RCD's. simply turning on all lights will show any shared neutrals by RCD's tripping

No a seperation test is an Insulation resistance test. It differs from a normal one in so far as you test the lives together, then neutrals then cpcs. class 2 fittings dont need an earth but I would connect the cpcs if they were there.

AndyGuiness Drink

I would not be happy leaving fittings with no cpc connected even if its double insulated. This is problem doing electrics correctly you are always putting right some others crap.

Batty

I hope you don't mean connecting the earths to a double insulated fitting?:|

Class 2 or not - If there is a Terminal there for the termination of the CPCs, I will terminate them there.

The Same as a PVC Pattress, There is a terminal for the PVC - Even though the CPC is not needed, as it is a class 2.

I still terminate them. If the switch is then changed for a Metal Clad switch - they are then there to use (/ flying earth from - should you use a Galv backbox to sink into the wall).. :D

Hey Sellers,

I've always just tested the furthest point.

In my opinion, you're testing to see if the circuit is complient - ie has a low enough overall Zs to be under table limit... if CPC's weren't joined thru at every fitting then the furthest point wouldn't have earth continuity.

It's maybe good practice (but I must admit I don't do it!) to test EVERY point as it could be a spur from the lighting radial with no/broken CPC, but on an assessment it won't be expected.

Good luck with it btw - when is it?

I would not be happy leaving fittings with no cpc connected even if its double insulated. This is problem doing electrics correctly you are always putting right some others crap.

Batty

Archived