Cu change testing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sellers

Reaction score
Just wanted to confirm a few things, do i test r1r2 at every point, ie all lighting points, or just the furthest?

If the kitchen is full off class 2 spot lights, and the earths on the t+e have not been linked through what is done here? Just a test at the switch?

Wylex dual rcd. I've installed the cu just wanted to double check on the lighting testing as i have my assessment on wednesday. All the circuits tested out ok, just i tested the lights at the end not at each point. So i'll just do a retest tonight.

By this do you mean do r1+r2 and then rN+r2 to check i have the correct neutral at each point? Also by the regs does a feed to a class 2 fitting need a cpc, i know people say then the cable is earthed but a class 2 appliance only has a 2core flex. Personaly i would connect the earths, but if someone else hasn't do i have to rectify during a cu change? Thanks folks

No a seperation test is an Insulation resistance test. It differs from a normal one in so far as you test the lives together, then neutrals then cpcs. class 2 fittings dont need an earth but I would connect the cpcs if they were there.

AndyGuiness Drink

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not be happy leaving fittings with no cpc connected even if its double insulated. This is problem doing electrics correctly you are always putting right some others crap.

Batty

I would not be happy leaving fittings with no cpc connected even if its double insulated. This is problem doing electrics correctly you are always putting right some others crap.Batty
I hope you don't mean connecting the earths to a double insulated fitting? :|

Class 2 or not - If there is a Terminal there for the termination of the CPCs, I will terminate them there.

The Same as a PVC Pattress, There is a terminal for the PVC - Even though the CPC is not needed, as it is a class 2.

I still terminate them. If the switch is then changed for a Metal Clad switch - they are then there to use (/ flying earth from - should you use a Galv backbox to sink into the wall).. :D

Hey Sellers,

I've always just tested the furthest point.

In my opinion, you're testing to see if the circuit is complient - ie has a low enough overall Zs to be under table limit... if CPC's weren't joined thru at every fitting then the furthest point wouldn't have earth continuity.

It's maybe good practice (but I must admit I don't do it!) to test EVERY point as it could be a spur from the lighting radial with no/broken CPC, but on an assessment it won't be expected.

Good luck with it btw - when is it?