DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.

Should We Bring Back Hanging?

exbdc

Should We Bring Back Hanging?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Should We Bring Back Hanging?

Watched the news today about the 25th anniversary of the Brighton bombing & that the the guy responsible was released under the Good Friday agreement.

Surely this was a treasonable offence which is one of the few crimes still legally punishable by hanging along with setting fire to HM's dockyards.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hanging was abolished for all crimes by the Crime and Disorder Act 1998

I'm personally for capital punishment for certain crimes.

I also think we need decent punishment. They claim that prisons are overcrowded but until we have 3 people to a bed (8 hours of sleep) no TV and get them doing something useful then there's no deterrent.

Valid point. But DNA now makes this more conclusive. Where there is no doubt there should be no doubt.

The problem we have is the huge sensitivity of the tests looking for DNA. We all leave DNA everywhere we go and we are able to pick up a few cells. Evidence could be planted or contaminated. Anywhere you've been in the last few months you left your DNA.

Imagine a house you changed the CU 4 months ago someone is murdered. They found your DNA. The owner left you with a key that day. No sign of a break in. Get out of that one.......

In principal I am for it but only for the most serious of crimes and where there is no reasonable doubt.

The problem we have is the huge sensitivity of the tests looking for DNA. We all leave DNA everywhere we go and we are able to pick up a few cells. Evidence could be planted or contaminated. Anywhere you've been in the last few months you left your DNA.

Imagine a house you changed the CU 4 months ago someone is murdered. They found your DNA. The owner left you with a key that day. No sign of a break in. Get out of that one.......

In principal I am for it but only for the most serious of crimes and where there is no reasonable doubt.

I thought you said...

Hang anyone who owns a cat!]:)

I thought you said...

Hang anyone who owns a cat!]:)

Sounds good to me! Hang the cats too :D

Sounds good to me! Hang the cats too :D

And being a responsible vet, Patch has a special discount for anyone who needs a hanging at short notice. :D

Personally I think the woman with the 8 children involved with the paedophile thing should have her children taking away and then be steralised. The children could go to loving homes where they are wanted.

Batty

Personally I think the woman with the 8 children involved with the paedophile thing should have her children taking away and then be steralised. The children could go to loving homes where they are wanted.

Batty

I think it's highly likely that she will go to prison & have her children taken into care, although there have been occasions where kids in care are no better off. If she were ever to become pregnant again Social Services would remove the child shortly after birth.

Hanging was abolished for all crimes by the Crime and Disorder Act 1998

I'm personally for capital punishment for certain crimes.

I also think we need decent punishment. They claim that prisons are overcrowded but until we have 3 people to a bed (8 hours of sleep) no TV and get them doing something useful then there's no deterrent.

Your're right. I honestly thought that were still offences on the statute book for which you could still be hung.

capital punishment is a hard one to judge, its a very perminent punishment, evidence can be contaminated, mistakes can be made, people have been releaced after years in prison been found inercent. there is also the mental health of the person, circumstances surrounding the crime.

prison should be tough.

3 sh*t meals, water and a cell.

or full time job in prison better cell and food, some cash saved up for when they get out and the last 2 years should be trained for a job when they get out.

and if u get 10 years u do all 10 or nearly as much

capital punishment is a hard one to judge, its a very perminent punishment, evidence can be contaminated, mistakes can be made, people have been releaced after years in prison been found inercent. there is also the mental health of the person, circumstances surrounding the crime.

prison should be tough.

3 sh*t meals, water and a cell.

or full time job in prison better cell and food, some cash saved up for when they get out and the last 2 years should be trained for a job when they get out.

and if u get 10 years u do all 10 or nearly as much

The American system is better in some respects & some states still have capital punishment. Life there can mean life i.e. you stay in jail until you die. They also have hard labour & chain gangs where convicts do proper work.

If she were ever to become pregnant again Social Services would remove the child shortly after birth.

Not always the case exbdc.

Your're right. I honestly thought that were still offences on the statute book for which you could still be hung.

IIRC it was for High Treason and there AFAIK still a working gallows at the tower.

IIRC it was for High Treason and there AFAIK still a working gallows at the tower.

Did you see my link?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_and_Disorder_Act_1998

The gallows were dismantled after the act was passed!

:)

They should have kept hanging offences on the back burner but it would never happen, the people who run this country are a million miles away from the people whose taxes keep them in luxury.

I believe that every convicted terrorist has now been released.

Its like corporal punishment in schools, once taken away ,can never be reinstated. It would be political suicide to announce that, if elected, you will be whacking children's bottoms with a gym shoe or bringing a long bamboo cane down hard across their outstretched fingers or even their bottoms . (As when I was at school ) Not going to happen.

Apparently , when there were many public hangings in Britain , it was no deterrant whatsoever.

When we read of awful crimes it is a gut reaction but I don't think it will ever happen again.

Apparently , when there were many public hangings in Britain , it was no deterrant whatsoever.

Deke - I beg to differ! No one re-offended..............

:coat

I think it was one of those wonderful urban myths Exy.

the people who run this country are a million miles away from the people whose taxes keep them in luxury.

spot on. one of the reasons why nothing gets done.

The biggest problem I have with executions, is what if it's the wrong person?

Don

I thought your boys always did a proper good job and never made mistakes!

On a more serious note though, if its absolutely definate without any doubt at all and backed up by evidence that the crime had taken place (murder) then why not hand out capital punishment to that person.

I know lots of ex offenders through the work I do and they often take pride in their crimes when bragging to mates, but also give lots of respect to others who have been inside as well. They also see us hard working people as scum and targets for their next ideas of crime acts.

The Godfather doesn't beleive in hangings, only buldozering red lamborghini miura's down cliff faces.

Archived