Should We Bring Back Hanging?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exbdc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watched the news today about the 25th anniversary of the Brighton bombing & that the the guy responsible was released under the Good Friday agreement.

Surely this was a treasonable offence which is one of the few crimes still legally punishable by hanging along with setting fire to HM's dockyards.

Hanging was abolished for all crimes by the Crime and Disorder Act 1998

I'm personally for capital punishment for certain crimes.

I also think we need decent punishment. They claim that prisons are overcrowded but until we have 3 people to a bed (8 hours of sleep) no TV and get them doing something useful then there's no deterrent.

Valid point. But DNA now makes this more conclusive. Where there is no doubt there should be no doubt.

Valid point. But DNA now makes this more conclusive. Where there is no doubt there should be no doubt.
The problem we have is the huge sensitivity of the tests looking for DNA. We all leave DNA everywhere we go and we are able to pick up a few cells. Evidence could be planted or contaminated. Anywhere you've been in the last few months you left your DNA.

Imagine a house you changed the CU 4 months ago someone is murdered. They found your DNA. The owner left you with a key that day. No sign of a break in. Get out of that one.......

In principal I am for it but only for the most serious of crimes and where there is no reasonable doubt.

The problem we have is the huge sensitivity of the tests looking for DNA. We all leave DNA everywhere we go and we are able to pick up a few cells. Evidence could be planted or contaminated. Anywhere you've been in the last few months you left your DNA. Imagine a house you changed the CU 4 months ago someone is murdered. They found your DNA. The owner left you with a key that day. No sign of a break in. Get out of that one.......

In principal I am for it but only for the most serious of crimes and where there is no reasonable doubt.
I thought you said...

Hang anyone who owns a cat! ]:)

Personally I think the woman with the 8 children involved with the paedophile thing should have her children taking away and then be steralised. The children could go to loving homes where they are wanted.

Batty

Personally I think the woman with the 8 children involved with the paedophile thing should have her children taking away and then be steralised. The children could go to loving homes where they are wanted.Batty
I think it's highly likely that she will go to prison & have her children taken into care, although there have been occasions where kids in care are no better off. If she were ever to become pregnant again Social Services would remove the child shortly after birth.

Hanging was abolished for all crimes by the Crime and Disorder Act 1998I'm personally for capital punishment for certain crimes.

I also think we need decent punishment. They claim that prisons are overcrowded but until we have 3 people to a bed (8 hours of sleep) no TV and get them doing something useful then there's no deterrent.
Your're right. I honestly thought that were still offences on the statute book for which you could still be hung.

Sounds good to me! Hang the cats too :D
A good way to lose friends and alienate people.

Pyro and Pyro's cat.

Last edited by a moderator:
capital punishment is a hard one to judge, its a very perminent punishment, evidence can be contaminated, mistakes can be made, people have been releaced after years in prison been found inercent. there is also the mental health of the person, circumstances surrounding the crime.

prison should be tough.

3 sh*t meals, water and a cell.

or full time job in prison better cell and food, some cash saved up for when they get out and the last 2 years should be trained for a job when they get out.

and if u get 10 years u do all 10 or nearly as much

capital punishment is a hard one to judge, its a very perminent punishment, evidence can be contaminated, mistakes can be made, people have been releaced after years in prison been found inercent. there is also the mental health of the person, circumstances surrounding the crime.prison should be tough.

3 sh*t meals, water and a cell.

or full time job in prison better cell and food, some cash saved up for when they get out and the last 2 years should be trained for a job when they get out.

and if u get 10 years u do all 10 or nearly as much
The American system is better in some respects & some states still have capital punishment. Life there can mean life i.e. you stay in jail until you die. They also have hard labour & chain gangs where convicts do proper work.

they should work, weather its sorting rubish for recycling, cleaning dog muck off the streets,

Your're right. I honestly thought that were still offences on the statute book for which you could still be hung.
IIRC it was for High Treason and there AFAIK still a working gallows at the tower.

They should have kept hanging offences on the back burner but it would never happen, the people who run this country are a million miles away from the people whose taxes keep them in luxury.

I believe that every convicted terrorist has now been released.

Its like corporal punishment in schools, once taken away ,can never be reinstated. It would be political suicide to announce that, if elected, you will be whacking children's bottoms with a gym shoe or bringing a long bamboo cane down hard across their outstretched fingers or even their bottoms . (As when I was at school ) Not going to happen.

Apparently , when there were many public hangings in Britain , it was no deterrant whatsoever.

When we read of awful crimes it is a gut reaction but I don't think it will ever happen again.