DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.

capping

sellers

Question

Does capping need to be over every possible cable run? I have a few sockets that have about 10cm to the top of the skirting. The cables sit fine well back in the chases. Do I have to cap these or can I leave it off as theres virtually no way they could get damaged.

4 answers to this question

capping is there to protect cables from plasterer, and thats about it

It also dated from when rubber cables where used to protect them from plaster which contain lime many years ago.

No, no, yes.

There is no requirement to fit capping at all. Burying pvc t&e directly in plaster (or behind plasterboard) is common.

Capping is designed for and intended to protect cables on flat walls that are going to be traditionaly plastered, so as to protect the cables, from the plasterers float.

This type of damage is less likely to occur if the cable is in a deep chase or the wall is being "dot and dabbed" (dry lined).

However I find that for future maintenance and for the "odd mistake" the capping allows you to pull some slack or re cable without any further chasing.

Archived