Am I being Stupid ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RussellR

Reaction score
I picked up a Domestic Disboard today and it is arranged with two RCD's One is rated at 80A but the other is only rated at 63A, it will be fitted on an instulation that is backed by an 80A service fuse.

To my mind I need to change the 63A RCD for an 80A one as in this configuration it is not protected from overcurrent ?

All it means is the RCD is rated at 80 and 63 amps and will happily switch those currents same as the main switch in your board ,which I guess will be rated at 100 amps.

There is no overload protection in an RCD , remember.

Deke

Thanks Deke

but is the 63A not the total current it can safely carry, appreciate it doesn't provide over current protection, but like a cable shouldn't it be able to carry the potential current ?

Or am I looking at this wrong ?

What will it be feeding? If it's say a 32A ring, a 16A immersion and a 6A lighting circuit, no worries. If the total MCB ratng exceeds 63A think about diversity. Personally if you only have an 80A incomer, I doubt if you've got a problem.