Back Boxes

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robojin

Reaction score
Some bright spark :| was suggesting to me today that with RCD's in place earth strapping from a class II double socket to the back box was not needed, I still do, is this something new or is this chap being a plo*ker

class II socket? all sockets require an earth!

anyway, if the backbox has at least 1 fixed lug, there is no need to take a seperate earth from socket earth terminal to backbox earth terminals. and the RCD has nothing to do with it

(a) What is a class II socket ?

(B) you can forgo the jumper if there is at least one fixed lug on the box , 15 th I think.

© Don't think RCD has any bearing on it.

(d) What IS a class II socket ???

Sorry I was not very clear, I meant plastic DS as opposed to chrome etc, been a long day :z

the gist of his argument was why continue to earth strap the plastic double socket earth to the brass lug of the back box as the accessory screws do the same thing, I could not be bothered to argue with him

Good practice - says me.

If the socket is removed for testing or replacement, and the circuit is energised, there is no cpc to the stell backbox. All you`d need is a missing grommet, or loose wire to the socket, which moved as you removed the socket........... live backbox anyone?

I still do this - its been considered good practice for years.

Why wouldn`t you put a strapper there? the only reason I can think of is laziness:(

(no offence intended to those who don`t. As stated, 7671 doen`t call for it.....)

KME

I do it, Doesnt take long, or even do it before you install the boxes. Put a few short peices of singles in all your backboxes.

Good practice - says me. If the socket is removed for testing or replacement, and the circuit is energised, there is no cpc to the stell backbox. All you`d need is a missing grommet, or loose wire to the socket, which moved as you removed the socket........... live backbox anyone?

I still do this - its been considered good practice for years.

Why wouldn`t you put a strapper there? the only reason I can think of is laziness:(

(no offence intended to those who don`t. As stated, 7671 doen`t call for it.....)

KME
If you follow safe working practices then this should never happen

If you follow safe working practices then this should never happen
Its when the decorator comes round after you have done your job & loosens bits off leaving then just clear of the wall so he can tuck his paper down or pain

t around socket without messing the outlet......

while screws loose... not very good earth to "now exposed" metal back box!!!!

Unless strapper has been fitted! :| :) ;)

I used to do this all the time.

However I do not do it anymore unless I percieve a risk if not done.

The earth is to the socket outlet and is normally the only contact you would have with anything live.

However why would you pull a live socket from its back box? This in itself would be bad practice and should only be done by a competant person, and if working live was the only way of detection of a fualt for instance.

Decorators do take socket covers off to decorate, however if they read any instructions they will read that no paper has to be (inside) any electrical connections, be them sockets or light switches.

If not required by the regulations I see no point in doing it, as for good practice, if it was good practice some mention of it would occur in the regulations and form part of those regulations.

Again like me those who do it only do it out of habbit and not for any other reason.

It has taken me years to break the habbit.

I'v just had my nic inspection and this subject came up, inspector said no need to do it, how come then on nic pir dvd its a code 4? Not much of an answer hes going to look at dvd. By the way I still do it and think its good practise but understand why some dont.

I always do it, simple enough if you take one of your incoming earths and bend it over halfway along its length, thereby going in the back box termial and then into the socket without even being cut. what are you going to save by not doing it? 30 seconds?

Ironic that the NIC PIR dvd should suggest that this is a class 4, when the last that I read of this was an article by NICEIC in the electric center (sorry, I refuse to spell it the american way!) which stated the opposite - i.e. the general consensus on here that it wasn't required as long as there was one fixed lug!