Part p in shop outlets.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meady

Reaction score
Just a quick question regarding what I can or can't do under the part p scope. My boss has asked me to carry out some works on his chain of cycle shops in the south east. Most of them have flats and residential property above. Has the retail unit and flat got to be on the sane meter or just the same supply to be classed under the part p scheme?

http://www.meadelectricalservices.co.uk/

PMSL @ Patch.

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the shop come under Part P - If there is living accomodation?

If they have a shared supply i.e. same meter then Part P applies to both the shop as well as the residential part.

If they are on separate meters, then Part P applies only to the residential part.

If you have 2 meters, are they both the suppliers meters? (i.e. 2 bills) or is one a private meter?

If you get 2 bills then they have separate supplies and the shop will not come under Part P, if however the flat is fed from a private meter then Part P applies..

i believe some of the shops are on a seperate meter than the flats above. so does that mean the flats are part p but the shop unit not? could i work on the shop and if not what would allow someone to carry out work and certify?

Meady,,

You are an electrician, is that for yourself or a company??

If the company you work for is Part P registered, then you are working as an employee and it's up to them to make sure that all the paperwork gets done, you just do the work!

Do the meters come into it ? The flat is domestic, so Part P. The shop is a commercial so not Part P. End of.
Just looked it up in the electricians guide to the building regulations

it states in scope of part p 1.3.2 part 2

"dwellings and buisness premises that have a common metered supply - for example shops and public houses with a flat above with a common meter" come within part p scope.

Im not employed by an electrical contractor, I work on my own and have just been offered this work which could lead to a steady supply of jobs. I just dident know where I stood as to regards of retail outlets. Now I am clear on a few things and where I stand.

hi meady,

I asked elecsa this question, he told me that you can work in a shop/business if you follow 7671/hsw etc.... there is no part p, so no need to notify but you would give the customer the relevent cert.

Do the meters come into it ? The flat is domestic, so Part P. The shop is a commercial so not Part P. End of.
unfortunatley, its not that simple! if they have a shared meter, then part p does apply to the shop. if they are seperate meters, then part p only applies to the flat

hi meady,I asked elecsa this question, he told me that you can work in a shop/business if you follow 7671/hsw etc.... there is no part p, so no need to notify but you would give the customer the relevent cert.
I spoke to elecsa yesterday and got exactly the same reply, I can carry out any work in shops, warehouse, buisness units etc even if they are not in the part p scope. I would just have to issue certs of what I have done and give to the customer.

this is all news to me, dident have a clue if I could carry out the work in the shops but it's all clear now, well chuffed as it is a big and ongoing job.

I get it now...

You are registered with Elecsa??

So you are covered for Part P domestic work.

And you want to know if you can do work in a shop which might or might not share a supply with a flat??

Yes you can, if shared supply then Part P applies as if it's a dwelling (shop or flat)

If it's not a shared supply then Part P does not apply to the shop.

As an electrician you can work where ever you like, in general the only restriction is domestic premises (Part P)

Be aware though... If Elecsa are anything like NICEIC then any non domestic work will have to be certified on non Elecsa certs