2 Gang 2 Way Switching

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Power Ball

Reaction score
Does anyone have any ideas on this please..

I have been asked by a friend to have a look at some lights they would like reconnecting as they have just moved in to a house about 20 years old.

Basically the previous owner took out the switch covers and room pendants and just put the cables into block connectors and had them plastered over

This is what I have found (Sorry no pics)

2 Two Gang switches 1 each end of the room and Two lights in the ceiling

Each 2 gang switch works 1 light and both work two way I think ( ie 1 gang 1 light 2nd gang 2nd light)

this is the wiring i found at the connections

1st switch (2 reds Together) 1 blue, 1 yellow, 2 earth to back box

2nd switch 1 red, (1red/1blue) 1Yellow/1red, Earths to back box

1st light fitting 2 earth, 2 red, 2 black

2nd light Fitting 1 red, 2 black, 1 earth

None of the above are sleeved to show switch live

Not come across this configuration before but would welcome any help or better still a simple wiring diagram

Thanks

Chas

I might be wrong; but it sounds like one of those should be just a one gang with only the first light being switched two-way, lives looped at the switch.

You could be right as the new occupier has no idea what switches were on the walls before they moved in could you list what goes to com L1 L2 at both switches please and I will test the cables this week end

In one switch it is 3 core and earth plus single red with earth

the second light looks like it is t&e + single black

Thanks

Chas

is it possible theyve used the black as a live from light in another room only way i can get it to work.
The only blacks are at the light fittings and neither of them are live or switch live ..

Looks like I will have to test the lot and see where they go to and from ??? headbang

got no idea mate ive even had my coloured crayons out still no joy will be interested when youve belled them out and got it sorted so please post your findings.