main fuse

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moose man

Reaction score
hi all

just like to know what you thing

I ask a supplier today to fit a kmf switch for somebody who wants a cu

fitted so the seals do not have to be broken they said it would be ok to cut the seals to pull the fuse then re seal it and give them a call is this correct

or should i get in writing from them

moose man

they wouldn't fit a kmf but some fit a 100A double pole switch.

if they said thats what they will do then cut the seals

If you have been given permission to cut the seals they normaly keep a log so the next time they are in the area or the supplier asks on any audit or inspection they have a copy of the reason why the seals where cut and when.

I sometimes include the time and date and the persons name on my iec just to cover myself, although this has never up to yet been any issue.

I bought one - not so long ago.

Hey - If a KMF is a Switch Fuse.

What is a KME?

]:)

I got customer to ask to get an isolator fitted a week ago, they then phoned me back to say I need to be there. I ask why I need to be there and was told the DNO is happy to cut the seals and remove the fuse but will not fit the isolator, so I have to be there when he removes the fuse, fit the isolator then he will put the fuse back in and reseal. I thought the DNO was supposed to fit the isolators, I know some charge but this is going to cost me if the DNO guy is late and I have to wait as can't really charge customer for it, its bad enough having to charge them for my time to fit isolator.

Also have another DNO problem at the moment as the tails from meter to fuse box were single insulated but I wasn't happy about cutting meter seals (I did cut the fuse seals) to do a cu change as part of a load of other work. I fitted new tails into henley block. Also found the wooden backing that the meter and cut out etc is screwed 2 is falling off the wall, 2 screws are missing and 1 of the remeining 2 is falling out. Got customer to phone DNO to get sorted and there reply was I shouldn't have removed main fuse - fair enough, but I should cut the meter seals and change cables, I said I wanted that in writing and customer agrees as he doesn't want to be accused of meter fiddling. After a long time phoning different people someone is coming out to replace the tails and fit an isolator but have said they won't touch my henley block and the meter is fine falling off the wall!! Also before doing any of this the DNO wants a copy of my EIC to be on site which isn't a problem but since when did they worry about that?

This main seals thing needs sorting, if we can't cut them the DNO needs to get it self sorted out and be more helpful or we should be allowed to cut them.

I got customer to ask to get an isolator fitted a week ago, they then phoned me back to say I need to be there. I ask why I need to be there and was told the DNO is happy to cut the seals and remove the fuse but will not fit the isolator, so I have to be there when he removes the fuse, fit the isolator then he will put the fuse back in and reseal. I thought the DNO was supposed to fit the isolators, I know some charge but this is going to cost me if the DNO guy is late and I have to wait as can't really charge customer for it, its bad enough having to charge them for my time to fit isolator.This main seals thing needs sorting, if we can't cut them the DNO needs to get it self sorted out and be more helpful or we should be allowed to cut them.
easier to DIY. ive found that the seal on bottom of meter often isnt there when i go to change tails (anyone else had this?!), but the one to the meter internals is never removed

I got customer to ask to get an isolator fitted a week ago, they then phoned me back to say I need to be there. I ask why I need to be there and was told the DNO is happy to cut the seals and remove the fuse but will not fit the isolator, so I have to be there when he removes the fuse, fit the isolator then he will put the fuse back in and reseal. I thought the DNO was supposed to fit the isolators, I know some charge but this is going to cost me if the DNO guy is late and I have to wait as can't really charge customer for it, its bad enough having to charge them for my time to fit isolator.Also have another DNO problem at the moment as the tails from meter to fuse box were single insulated but I wasn't happy about cutting meter seals (I did cut the fuse seals) to do a cu change as part of a load of other work. I fitted new tails into henley block. Also found the wooden backing that the meter and cut out etc is screwed 2 is falling off the wall, 2 screws are missing and 1 of the remeining 2 is falling out. Got customer to phone DNO to get sorted and there reply was I shouldn't have removed main fuse - fair enough, but I should cut the meter seals and change cables, I said I wanted that in writing and customer agrees as he doesn't want to be accused of meter fiddling. After a long time phoning different people someone is coming out to replace the tails and fit an isolator but have said they won't touch my henley block and the meter is fine falling off the wall!! Also before doing any of this the DNO wants a copy of my EIC to be on site which isn't a problem but since when did they worry about that?

This main seals thing needs sorting, if we can't cut them the DNO needs to get it self sorted out and be more helpful or we should be allowed to cut them.
You will find, that after trials that have been undertaken in parts of England by various dno's and governing bodies, there would appear to be some developments on who can and who can not cut seals.

If your a member of a scheme provider, the dno authorities have agreed in principle, that you should be able to cut a seal so has to remove a main fuse for safe isolation to do a cu change.

However this is not law yet, and as still got to be approved.

There may be a one day induction to get on a register, but all this is in discussion stages at the moment.

I have found in my experiance if you phone the dno in my area (its usually Liz who answers) thats how often I phone :) , they allow you to cut the seals and confirm a date with the customer to reseal.

So we may be able to do it all ourselves in the near future but for now it is worth reporting any problems you have with a dno to your governing body, who will keep such accounts on file as justification for nessary changes.

easier to DIY. ive found that the seal on bottom of meter often isnt there when i go to change tails (anyone else had this?!), but the one to the meter internals is never removed
Yes I must admit I have been guilty as charged.

You can just about take it out if it is only sealed at one end.

so even if we are getting somewhere on the service fuse thing: what exactly do you do when part p doesnt apply (commercial), and so your not reg'd with anyone?

so even if we are getting somewhere on the service fuse thing: what exactly do you do when part p doesnt apply (commercial), and so your not reg'd with anyone?
From what I have seen at the moment the discussions are only aimed at those who are registered with a scheme provider.

However I would think if you where to prove competancy it should be rolled out to all who would need to remove main fuses for safe isolation.

This fuse situation needs resolving once and for all, either the dno fit isolators to every house in the country or they allow us to pull the main fuse. What really annoys me about it is I'm a HV authorised person and so could go and work on the overhead power lines but I can't pull a 240v fuse??

they wouldn't fit a kmf but some fit a 100A double pole switch.if they said thats what they will do then cut the seals
Thanks for that i will mention the double pole switch to them

and if the answer is the same i will ask them to put it in writeing

also it as 10 mm / 16mm tails with a 60amp cut out does this needs

to be upgraded for the 25mm tails on a 100amp cu