Some lighting questions.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rampage

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a couple of questions regarding lighting.

What is the maximum ampage (or wattage) a light switch can switch?

And, can a lighting circuit (indoor) be on the non protected side of a RCD? ie. just protected by a MCB?

Thanks,

Chris

1. i think there 10a (there are 6a ones too i think)

2. if cable/ switch drops is less than 50mm then it needs to be on a rcd. if more than 50mm deep or protected by earthed metal capping dont think it needs to be on rcd.

Excellent, thanks.

I have one connected to a PIR, it was sparking today. It must be a faulty switch. I wasn't sure if a normal switch could handle the power!

A shame about having to leaving it on the RCD side of the CU though. I need a spare RCD for my new radial circuit I've installed.

What do the regs say about certain circuits being separate to the RCD, so they don't all go off in a fault condition, I'm not sure I understand them!

I have a split CU with 5 RCD and 5 normal.

I'd rather not buy a RCBO as they are so expensive! (It's Crabtree as well)

A2 Radial, 2.5 PVC T+E feeding 1x double socket & 2x non-fused switches which are connected to 4 way plug adaptors.

It's for AV stuff. There's another spur nearby, but thats got enough sockets and electric fires on it!

Excellent, thanks.I have one connected to a PIR, it was sparking today. It must be a faulty switch. I wasn't sure if a normal switch could handle the power!

A shame about having to leaving it on the RCD side of the CU though. I need a spare RCD for my new radial circuit I've installed.

What do the regs say about certain circuits being separate to the RCD, so they don't all go off in a fault condition, I'm not sure I understand them!

I have a split CU with 5 RCD and 5 normal.

I'd rather not buy a RCBO as they are so expensive! (It's Crabtree as well)
Crabtree Star-breaker RCBO

1. i think there 10a (there are 6a ones too i think)2. if cable/ switch drops is less than 50mm then it needs to be on a rcd. if more than 50mm deep or protected by earthed metal capping dont think it needs to be on rcd.
earthed metal capping does not comply to get round RCD's. it will need to be earthed steel conduit, or a much thicker plate of steel may be acceptable

earthed metal capping does not comply to get round RCD's. it will need to be earthed steel conduit, or a much thicker plate of steel may be acceptable
I agree.

Many people think that metalic protection means metalic capping NO i say.

The degree of protection means that it must offer resistance to all nails and screws from penatration.

To do this the guage of steel has to be thick enough. Metal capping is very thin and often held in place by NAILS.

I agree.Many people think that metalic protection means metalic capping NO i say.

The degree of protection means that it must offer resistance to all nails and screws from penatration.

To do this the guage of steel has to be thick enough. Metal capping is very thin and often held in place by NAILS.
not quite GH - SWA / 8436 / pyro etc will not put up much of a fight against a nail/screw etc! but it will make sure that the object is in good contact with the earthed armour before it gets to the phase

not quite GH - SWA / 8436 / pyro etc will not put up much of a fight against a nail/screw etc! but it will make sure that the object is in good contact with the earthed armour before it gets to the phase
I agree again :^O

However my post was only about the metal capping and not any cable that could be used in its stead

Sounds like you have a 16 th edition board there, so put your radial on the RCD side, leave the lighting alone.
There's no space on the RCD side.

I only have a spare MCB on the non RCD side. Which is why I was wondering to move the lighting.

You can get 20A switches.

Metal capping, can be used if it is earthed.