Sky Signal

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my sky box randomly displays no signal, although its probably the box (often doesnt work and needs a minute to think about what its going to do, or not do)

snow will do it as well, so no worrys there

spoke to a sky engineer a while back about this, he reckons if you turn your box off at the mains every night it stops this problem even when raining.

cant see why that would make a difference tbh

he did have a pink van though

spoke to a sky engineer a while back about this, he reckons if you turn your box off at the mains every night it stops this problem even when raining.cant see why that would make a difference tbh

he did have a pink van though
The Boys agree (Although, why keep equipment on standby when your in bed?)

The Boys

only problem with turning off at the mains, is your guaranteed to forget to turn it back on before it starts to record
Assuming you have (or need) that option, of course Andy.

The Boys

only problem with turning off at the mains, is your guaranteed to forget to turn it back on before it starts to record
yeah just like i did and missed the footy

doh!

hopefully ive sorted it, as we had a chimney taken down and some walls demolished a few weeks back, and the fact the meter showed a lslight drop ion signal, ive realinged the dish in the rain and everything is fine again (FOR NOW!)

hopefully ive sorted it, as we had a chimney taken down and some walls demolished a few weeks back, and the fact the meter showed a lslight drop ion signal, ive realinged the dish in the rain and everything is fine again (FOR NOW!)
then it rains refraction alters the angle of the satellite signal. If you align in the rain it won't be good when fine!

i once did a job in a very posh area and the home owner told me he had sky out to sort hazy picture quality and was told it was due to a very large mature tree (house size)in his grounds in line of sight from the dish(which for some reason was mounted about 6ft off the ground on a seperate garage wall, installer prob didnt have his big ladders!)... guy had tree cut down to the ground and shredded..... instantly made absolutely no difference to the picture quality...lol....

I have the same problem. No signal displayed when it rains?

Also the sound goes for no reason and the only way I can get it back is to switch of the box at the mains for five minutes.

headbang

when it rains it creates 'white noise' which affects your signal to noise ratio

when its not raining and you get poor signal/loos of signal then this can be caused by 'solar flares' or 'sun spots'

if you have pixelation on only a few channels then your provider has used more than his allowable bandwidth for that 'stream' of channels.

turning your box completely off at night be it sky or cable then you are liable for extra problems

as this is the time they update software and communicate with the box

when it rains it creates 'white noise' which affects your signal to noise ratiowhen its not raining and you get poor signal/loos of signal then this can be caused by 'solar flares' or 'sun spots'

if you have pixelation on only a few channels then your provider has used more than his allowable bandwidth for that 'stream' of channels.

turning your box completely off at night be it sky or cable then you are liable for extra problems

as this is the time they update software and communicate with the box
Thanks for the explanation :D

I turn mine off @ night