RCCD requirement in existing bathroom.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyingspark

Reaction score
Hello, My question is (sorry if this seems a bit long winded) -

I was called to look at an extractor fan problem installed in a bathroom. It turns out the fan is faulty, and initially I was just going to replace it, and called the client to let her know.

As I was driving home I was thinking about the regs requirement for additional RCCD protection within bathrooms. The flat has and old BS 3036 rewireable fuse board, and no additional RCCD's within the flat. My experiance tells me, (and most of you will know this) that a 17th edition complient CU upgrade will open up a can of worms with regard to the other circuits within the flat etc.

Can I just replace the fan and not insist on or having to install an RCCD? The fan is not a 12v type, but is outside zone 1. I am not looking for the work as am booked up for months.

Thanks for reading this and look forward to any views.

like for like replacement can be done without having to bring circuits to 17th. just make sure you dont leave the place more dangerous than when you arrived, and your ok

If the work is maintenance(replacing like for like) and you are not altering the circuit ie changing the cable installed in the bathroom wall, then you dont need to comply with 17th by adding an rcd.

Thanks Andy & Robin for quick response, the answer is just what I wanted to hear. I hope this helps others too. Cheers.