Consumer unit in meter cupboard

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkyt

Reaction score
I know this would not be considered good practise but does anyone know of a reg that would forbid me from upgrading an existing consumer unit in its current position (outside meter cupoard-old type, metal door and plenty of room) its just that the client insists that it goes there. I cant really see of any major reason why i couldnt but just wanted your views.

Thanks in advance

I know this would not be considered good practise but does anyone know of a reg that would forbid me from upgrading an existing consumer unit in its current position (outside meter cupoard-old type, metal door and plenty of room) its just that the client insists that it goes there. I cant really see of any major reason why i couldnt but just wanted your views.Thanks in advance
My thouights.......

1. All of the existing fixed wiring goes back to the existing CU position.

2. In the event that the external meter box cupboard was damaged and needed replacing, It would be the customers responsibility to replace the box, (i.e. they purchase the box & pay for the work) Its their BOX!

3. If it were a new build the builder or customer would have to supply and fix a suitable enclosure to mount the meter & service head in. (its the customers BOX they {or builder} pays for it!)

4. There are thousands millions of home around the country with a CU in the meter box!

5. The customer is paying for the new CU work.

6. If the customer will not pay you to do additional moving work... they will get another electrician to do it!

7. Providing earthing & bonding & the other various safety related issues are dealt with and the CU is not left in a more dangerous state IMHO there are NO regs saying you cant.

8. Excluding the outside factor & convenience when fuse blows, A meter box is normally quite easily accessible without the need for steps or ladders.

9. Some garage mounted CU fitted high up a wall needing stepladders could pose more of a hazard to the elderly!!

10. The supply company do not supply or fit the external meter box (its NOT their box!)

11. etc... etc...

Using a bit of common sense and consideration to each of the above points...

Do job with good workmanship... WHERE ELSE WOULD YOU PUT IT?

IMHO just go ahead and do it!

Fill out cert

Notify to LABC

Take the money & jobs a goodun!

:D ;)

i'd have to agree with spec, has been said in the past the supply company 'dont like' anything in 'their' box but i think times have changed, so long as whatever work you do makes an improvement on the existing installation just do it, ive seen a socket in a external meter cupboard wired directly into the supply side of the meter, covered in cobwebs,so been there a long time, apparently the builder had it installed whilst building the house....nice

Go for it Betty, as you say, the networks always wanted the cupboard for their own meters / time switches etc . Those times have gone now , meter box belongs to the client, meters and networks not the same these days.

I agree do it! I have! Networks only needed space for monitoring equipment in case of meter problems etc. Aint heard of that for a long time

Sorry to reply to an old thread but would just like to add something. When my DNO (scottish power) adds/moves a meter the back board has "Scottish Power equipment only" stencilled on it. Althougth I

DNO do not own the meter, the electricity suppier does (which could also be the DNO if they are the same company).