dimplex duo heat advice required

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bus-nut

Reaction score
Hi all, i dont have much call for fitting storage rads in the past so im after a bit of advice.

i have been asked by a customer to replace some old storage heaters within a flat (the flat is in a block of flats and the fabric of the building is all concrete).

anyway replacing the heaters like for like is no problem but they have asked about a dimplex duo heat storage rad and have asked if it can be installed in the lounge. now can anyone tell me as i have looked through all the online instructions and have several conflicting bits of advice obviously the off peak side gets conected to the off peak supply already there but my question is can the on peak side be connect via a switch fused spur to the existing ring main. looking at the spec of the cable sizes it looks like it could be as the on peak cable is a .75mm2 4 core as opposed to the off peak which is 2.5mm2 3core and i only have an overall kw rating for it to go by obviously inc the off peak kw, someone has told me yes i can but then reading the instructions on line it says its not suitable for connecting to a 30 amp ring (the off peak side i can understand that would not be suitable) can anyone shed any light on this for me please. as running another seperate supply to the lounge will end up pretty costly for my customer and potentially very unsightly as it would more than likely have to go surface which is not really ideal.

cheers

arron

As far as I know ,Bus-Nut, its a storage heater with off peak supply and a fan assisted convector heater combined in the same unit. This would need a seperate , normal, 24 hour supply. So two isolators and flexes into heater.

hi thank you for replying, i know it needs two supplies i just need to know if the non off peak side can be run off an existing ring main via i switched fused spur?

thanks

the peak supply is to a 500watt heater in the fromt, i believe whatever size duoheat you have. the instructions say not driectly connected to 30amp supply, so you can go through a switched fused spur.

The off peak requires a further two poles of isolation.

And if you are linking them to the dimplex control system via the pilot wire method you will have another pole to isolate.

So thats 5 in total, one swithced fused spur, one DP switch and one architrave switch or something similar.

I found this out the hard way a few years ago when dimplex technical still didnt have a clue about these.

the peak supply is to a 500watt heater in the fromt, i believe whatever size duoheat you have. the instructions say not driectly connected to 30amp supply, so you can go through a switched fused spur.The off peak requires a further two poles of isolation.

And if you are linking them to the dimplex control system via the pilot wire method you will have another pole to isolate.

So thats 5 in total, one swithced fused spur, one DP switch and one architrave switch or something similar.

I found this out the hard way a few years ago when dimplex technical still didnt have a clue about these.
No mention of 'direct' connection in the technical literature. Just the direct quote above. ?:|

im sure the instructions i had mentioned a direct connection not sure where else i would have got it from, but this was a few years ago i installed these.

thanks guys its what i was thinking just wanted to make sure, even though someone originally said it could be done i just wanted to make sure thanks