Pushfit connectors

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use other*, for the simple reason they are what my wholesaler had in stock. Not had any problems with them, used loads.

'Other' connectors are grey, come in a white and blue box, possibly Italian, can't remember, the box went long ago!

Good to see there is not just a choice of two that I thought were out there. It would be good if you guys using others could post the details or a link on where you get them etc. Guinness

my wholesalers has just started stocking these, http://www.hellermanntyton.co.uk/products/product-highlights/helaconhavnt had chance to use them yet as i have a stock of multicomp / wagos from CPC. From what the wholesalers said they are cheaper than wagos.
Which wholesaler?

I like the look of them Applaud Smiley as with the Ideal and Wago you can see the internals which is good for checking the core is fully in the connector cus I've had issues with sleeved earths not going in 1st go due the sleeve not gripping the core as u push, ends up with the snipe nose pliers on it.

Found some on fleebay, not a bad price cheaper than wago and ideal as this includes vat, shame about the postage! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HELACON-3-WAY-PUSH-CONNECTOR-HECP-3-BOX-OF-100_W0QQitemZ170406918330QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_DIY_Material_Electrical_Fittings_MJ?hash=item27ad0b38ba

the wholesalers is WILTS

they mentioned they were around

Wago's guys use their box

i use ideal and have put lighting connections in an adaptable box complete with a wiring diagram

i might be wrong but the current carrying capacity of ideal is less than wago

i might be wrong but the current carrying capacity of ideal is less than wago
Yep 20A for Ideal an 24A for Wago, Helacon & Multicomp.

24A ones can't be used anywhere that the 20A can, its still not enough for ring circuits so max you could use them for is 20A 2.5mm radial circuit so they all have the same ability.

i can honestly say i've never used or even seen these, but i wil be looking in the future :)

pushfit plumbing connections are useless, unreliable and horrible to look at, personally i use yorkshires everywhere that i can. i would use end feed but i just end up with a hot pipe and a puddle of solder on the floor Blushing

pushfit plumbing connections are useless, unreliable and horrible to look at, personally i use yorkshires everywhere that i can. i would use end feed but i just end up with a hot pipe and a pubble of solder on the floor Blushing
In that case you're not allowed to comment on plastic push fit fittings. I've used hundreds nad over the years have had less problems with plastic pushfit fittings than I have copper fittings.

Slating plastic pipe and fittings off is an old story now, maybe 20 years ago when it was starting to be seen here and there and the first fittings were maybe not so good then yes, but time marches on and so does technology. There's nothing wrong with pushfit fittings, plastic or copper. I use all of the above, dpending on what the job requires.

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm not allowed to comment on plastic push fit pipe connectors? i do hope your not serious.

our multi-traders at the council use them on shower waste pump installations and in my experience they are useless in anything other than a perfectly straight bit of pipe with no weight on it including itself. you get any sideways pressure on them and they leak, in my experience. personally i consider plastic push fit pipe connectors a cheap and nasty lazy job rather than doing it the right way, myself i use either a pipe bender or yorkshire fittings as once fitted(correctly) they pretty much cannot fail.

i have no idea what push fits were like 20 years as i've been in the trade/out of school for 12 years.

i'm not allowed to comment on plastic push fit pipe connectors? i do hope your not serious.
50\50.

our multi-traders at the council use them on shower waste pump installations and in my experience they are useless in anything other than a perfectly straight bit of pipe with no weight on it including itself. you get any sideways pressure on them and they leak, in my experience. personally i consider plastic push fit pipe connectors a cheap and nasty lazy job rather than doing it the right way, myself i use either a pipe bender or yorkshire fittings as once fitted(correctly) they pretty much cannot fail.
The problem there is not the connections but the council 'multi-traders' I think. When you say shower waste, what size are we talking about, and what make fittings are you using? Either you're using some rubbish fittings or someone needs to flick through the instruction books a bit. I remember someone complaining about plastic pushfit fittings, turned out he was cutting the pipe with a questionable hacksaw.

i have no idea what push fits were like 20 years as i've been in the trade/out of school for 12 years.
Well I'm not saying you personally have formed this decision, I'm sure the hype and hysteria over the rubbish plastic ffittigns made your mind up for you before you used them.

i didn't know about them until i used them and came across them, my views on them are my own from my own experience. the connectors in question are normally the ones that come with the pump kit and look like this

p4356268_l.jpg

i've never experienced the copper pushfit connectors so cannot comment on them.

the shower waste pumps have a 15mm pipe from the tray to the pump inlet then a 22mm on the outlet side, i've personally found them to br troublesome on both copper and plastic pipe and would never use a hacksaw to cut pipe as i have a 15mm and 22mm pipe slice.

please don't create your own views on our work force without knowing anything about us, our multi-traders are people that are experienced and qualified tradesmen that have taken further training to do a second trade, normally a carpenter that has branched out into plumbing. i know tradesmen like to look down on council workers as if they are not real tradesmen or got their qualifications from the back of a cornflakes packet or suchlike but i assure you round here working for the council is one of the best paid and most sort after jobs, there is a waiting list for jobs as an electrician.