any car experts in here?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

what year is car on, we done 2005 (05) one last week edc15 ecu required chip removed and program eeprom directly ecu is located behind wheel at passanger side. Turn steering wheel toward UK passanger side and pull off cover and its located just a little higher up.

cut and pasted..... any help?

thats a great help - ive looked in engine bay but no sign of it. wiring harness seems to go into car, found a bundle behind glove compartment but still no help. at least i now have some idea where to look for it!

spoke to a few mechanics and even there not sure where it is! (the older DTI engine ECU is in the engine bay)

looking at this, looks like its underneath the inlet air box behind the head. Problem with new cars, loads of covers!

ecu3.jpg

Autodata says it's under the LH wheel arch liner for the Astra H (04-07). It doesn't mention where it is on the earlier Astra G (02-06), although it does tell me which fuse controls it.

is autodata any good? i have vivid workshop, but there is just as much data on my astra as it has on a bar of chocolate. if it is behind the wheel arch, there is some wiring heading towards that area

problem is the car randomly wont start. it just turns. leave it 5-10 mins and it works as though nothing has happened. its also cut out a few times whilst driving (usually in the worst places!).

general problem from various forums is a dodgy connection in ECU, but only locations etc i can find are for the DTI engine (which is back of fuel pump)

Z17DTL engine

does it say anything about this problem?

there are no fault codes

Yeah, that doesn;t work so well, probably doesn;t like Firefox.

For that engine code on an 04 Astra H it says it's under the LH wheel arch so I'd head for there.

could be fuel pump or sender unit. Although try everything :)

Now the cold **** weather is here, could be a tad damp in a conection some where.

unplug them, spray WD40 on them and back on.

Yeah, that doesn;t work so well, probably doesn;t like Firefox.For that engine code on an 04 Astra H it says it's under the LH wheel arch so I'd head for there.
the online version works well on firefox - be aware that the demo only allows you to look at a few specific things, i.e the options in grey

ill have a look under wheel arch later, hopefully it will be easy to get to!

I love to have a CD of that autofix. :|

Anyway,

Wife and I went down the school, the other day...

..Pulled up, and there was here friend with her bonnet up (Little peugeot car).

Ingition lights came on, but on the last click (Turnover) they would go out and not a thing else would happen.

She said it has bee like it for a few months, and the engine would even cut out on a "Run".

She also said that it would start again in about 10 minutes, and she was right too. It did!

Anyway, she said that a local garage did a plug in diagnostics test and the results were that the ECU is dodgey. (This was diagnosed about a week or two back - and I think it was MOnday last when we saw her).

Anyway, If it is the ECU, DON'T get a new one - Get your one replaired! I had two of mine done and they are good and cheap (sent to them, by post) - I have got a thread on here somewhere.

Let me know how you get on Andy.

found ECU. its behind wheel arch/wing as revjames says. unfortunately, there wasnt the dodgy connection i was hoping to find, now just gotta try and make it water tight again! (i can see lots of silicone being used!) what makes it even more annoying, everytime i go try and fix it, it works fine without problem, infact, it hasnt been a problem at any time since i had to get it from the side of the road last friday!

I love to have a CD of that autofix. :| Anyway,

Wife and I went down the school, the other day...

..Pulled up, and there was here friend with her bonnet up (Little peugeot car).

Ingition lights came on, but on the last click (Turnover) they would go out and not a thing else would happen.

She said it has bee like it for a few months, and the engine would even cut out on a "Run".

She also said that it would start again in about 10 minutes, and she was right too. It did!

Anyway, she said that a local garage did a plug in diagnostics test and the results were that the ECU is dodgey. (This was diagnosed about a week or two back - and I think it was MOnday last when we saw her).

Anyway, If it is the ECU, DON'T get a new one - Get your one replaired! I had two of mine done and they are good and cheap (sent to them, by post) - I have got a thread on here somewhere.

Let me know how you get on Andy.
Think we're onto page 4 before we really get into the ECU's!

http://www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1531

:D

Latest posts