lighting loop

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you need 'both depending on the circumstances' as an option.

:D

I can't see anyone doing it ALWAYS one way or the other IMO

i hate using, well, people befor me using jb's, i have seen them everywhere in a house.

i prefer to loop through switch as there is more room and less hassle fitting fidley lightfittings

Well, UK switches are not really set up for 3 plate so I would say loops around the lights. In Aus/NZ they run evrything round the switches and only send a switched feed up to the fitting. This does make fault finding easier.

On new I generally wire into switches. Rewires if conduits are being reused will probably go to lights unless they are having downlights then will probably use boxes in loft with wagos in. But every job is different.

Batty

I almost alway loop at the light. My reason for this is if any more lights are needed, even if switched else where there is always an easy option from a light in preference from a switch

Both, depending on what I happen to do. Depends how many cables are going to end up where and why, standard upstairs lighting circuit may end up with all being done loop in at the roses, downstairs might be loop in everywhere except lounge due to wall lights and kitchen due to under cupboard lights for instance.

So yeah, I vote for the missing option!

I use a mixture of both...... all Three of them....

e.g.

LOOP AT LIGHT

• If it is a bog standard ceiling rose & pendant.
  • If large enough fitting to accomodate at least 3 x T&E.

LOOP AT SWITCH

• If a room with wall lights.
  • Kitchen with mixed ceiling & counter lights.
  • Small cupboard/pantry.
  • Bathroom cord pull

LOOP AT JUNCTION BOX (maintenace free or accessible as appropriate.)

• Multiple light fittings such as recessed downlights.
  • Modern decorative fittings with minimal space for any electrical connectiona other than a 0.75mm L,N,E!
  • Some lights controlled by PIR.

etc.... etc.... Blushing:D:coat