towel rad not getting hot

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
unfoutunatly my basic plumbing skills drag me to areas of work i would not rather do but i have swaped a rad for a towel rad, i isolated pipes in the loft turned off for a few weeks i went back turned heating off turned iso on and the rad filled with hot water, i blead the rad till water came out, refiled the system. but now all the rads heat up except the new one.

its not a combi but it is a closed system.

any advise thanks

have you bled all the rads in the house? ... and keep going round them all untill there isn't any air in the pipes/

i am also limited with plumbing but i have had to do that in the past!

I know its basic, but are you 100% certain both valves are on to the rad? are there any other isolation valves in circuit? As danny says also bleed everything as well. Make sure any stats are calling for heat and the system is on for heating. It has to be something basic.

well one of the new valves turners is lose, b and q crap, to open and close it u have to hold the end, but i made sure this was open befor i put the rad on. did not bleed them all as the guy said to leave it as its tempremental and some rads take a while to come on, but its not on yet. when fired up befor any work was done it makes a right claning sound ( prob full of air)

i always take the "vale turners " off as i end up with them spinning, sounds like you need to turn on central heating and bled all the rads...

will give it a go, i did the downstairs befor he told me to leave it,

Sounds like you have an air lock!

Have a go at turning all the other rads off and just leave that one on, then fire the system up..

Hopefully it'll push it into the rad.... then bleed it (turn pump off first!)

well one of the new valves turners is lose, b and q crap, to open and close it u have to hold the end, but i made sure this was open befor i put the rad on. did not bleed them all as the guy said to leave it as its tempremental and some rads take a while to come on, but its not on yet. when fired up befor any work was done it makes a right claning sound ( prob full of air)
I suspect your comment wot I highlighted says a lot about your problem...

Sound like they have had some serious "air-lock" problems in the past!!!

Did the old radiator work before you took it off? ?:|

It is a "pumped" system isn't it?

Loosen rad at valve and open valve till water runs without air bubbles do same to other valve and then bleed radiator hope this helps you

had a similar issue at home recently, i bled all the rads and a fews days later one was full of air again, i think it had trapped all the air that was still in the system so i bled it again and i think its alright now.

I suspect your comment wot I highlighted says a lot about your problem...Sound like they have had some serious "air-lock" problems in the past!!!

Did the old radiator work before you took it off? ?:|

It is a "pumped" system isn't it?
would not surprise me if it did not work befor it was changed, he is one for trying it on, but it did fill with hot water,

dont they usually have pumps

Loosen rad at valve and open valve till water runs without air bubbles do same to other valve and then bleed radiator hope this helps you
will give it ago mate i am back there after christmass

Sounds like you have an air lock!Have a go at turning all the other rads off and just leave that one on, then fire the system up..

Hopefully it'll push it into the rad.... then bleed it (turn pump off first!)
on the list for when i go back thanks mate

would not surprise me if it did not work befor it was changed, he is one for trying it on, but it did fill with hot water, dont they usually have pumps
Not all, some are gravity fed, rely on warm water rises principal..

air locks in gravity fed systems IHMO take longer to work though & clear.

Not all, some are gravity fed, rely on warm water rises principal..air locks in gravity fed systems IHMO take longer to work though & clear.
i see, in fact i think i have seen it but it was fed from the hot water tank and only 1 rad. the plumber had some fun that day,

As Noz says; though taken a little further:

Find the highest, furthest from boiler rad; and shut valves to all other rads.

switch heating on.............................wait for air to be pushed into rad.

If this doesn`t work; and you have header tank, put a drop of washing-up-liquid into header - can shift airlocks like nowt else!

As Noz says; though taken a little further:Find the highest, furthest from boiler rad; and shut valves to all other rads.

switch heating on.............................wait for air to be pushed into rad.

If this doesn`t work; and you have header tank, put a drop of washing-up-liquid into header - can shift airlocks like nowt else!
nice one will remeber that little fairy trick.

no header mate just a little red cylinder next to the hot water tank.

thanks to all who contributed

header is normally in the loft mate, mine is. like the cold water storage tank but about the size of a cistern.

header is normally in the loft mate, mine is. like the cold water storage tank but about the size of a cistern.
Sometimes the float arm can get stuck if you've not done any work on the heating for a long time and there are no leaks. Worth checking it can move freely if you are up there!

Latest posts