My Pet Rabbit is noisy?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

extension15

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My pet house rabbit of more than 5 years, has gone noisy..

Lot's of preening, associated with that 'polite' farting noise they make when they do this (more than usual).

Plus he appears to be snoring when he's sleeping:D

Does he have a 'cold' or worse?

He is due is biannual Myxomatosis jab next week, so a vets visit is due..

:|

My pet house rabbit of more than 5 years, has gone noisy..well stop giving him lettuce leaves to munch on :^O

Lot's of preening, associated with that 'polite' farting noise they make when they do this (more than usual).

Plus he appears to be snoring when he's sleeping:D stick something on his nose then :^O

:|
:coat

Ext - it's possible he is suffering from a disease called 'pasturellosis'. It's a bacteria very common in rabbits, in fact they (almost) all carry it. For some reason (often unknown) the bacteria will multiply and cause varying respiratory tract symptoms, including like those you describe.

Your vet may decide on a course of antibiotics and delay the vaccine, but that is up to him/her. Do bring it up BEFORE the vet vaccinates the rabbit! I hate it when people mention these things after you've injected it and you are walking out the door! it wouldn't do any harm vaccinating a sick animal, but the immune system is diverted off fighting the infection and may not fully respond to the vaccine.

If you google 'rabbit pasturellosis' you will be inundated with info

Ext - it's possible he is suffering from a disease called 'pasturellosis'. It's a bacteria very common in rabbits, in fact they (almost) all carry it. For some reason (often unknown) the bacteria will multiply and cause varying respiratory tract symptoms, including like those you describe.
Yes, does sound like your spot on, there Patch..Applaud Smiley

He doesn't seem too bad, he's eating/drinking/running around with Billy my dog and his motions are normal.

But he will be going to the vets early next week...

;)

I did take him to the Vets this morning..

The Vet gave him a thorough examination and described him as very poorly, with his chances being 50:50 (Respiratory problems).

He gave him 2 injections and supplied me with rabbit recovery supplement and a syringe to give him extra fluids/food.

He's back at the vets tomorrow afternoon (assuming he gets through the night).

:(

I did take him to the Vets this morning..The Vet gave him a thorough examination and described him as very poorly, with his chances being 50:50 (Respiratory problems).

He gave him 2 injections and supplied me with rabbit recovery supplement and a syringe to give him extra fluids/food.

He's back at the vets tomorrow afternoon (assuming he gets through the night).

:(
Sorry to hear that Ext15, whats the typical lifespan for a rabbit?

Doc H.

Blimey I just deleted my response Doc.. :(

(I'll try again)

Rabbits can live a long time in a domestic environment (16 years I've heard of: O) , out in the wild considerably less. However Thumper is a min dwwwarf and prone to all sorts of problems.

He is a house rabbit and as such very sociable (as they are) with us and our dog..

Fingers crossed (He seems to be picking up this evening and quiet in his sleep).............. :x

Kev

Hope everything is ok with your bunny.

The critical care stuff is very good.

Some strong antibiotics and hopefully things will get better.

the girlfriends rabbits are prone to this, and have been quite poorly befor but the injections seem to pick them right up,

OK, another visit to the vets over..

He is a little better and a course of oral antibiotics prescribed for the next 6 days..

Pray

OK, another visit to the vets over..He is a little better and a course of oral antibiotics prescribed for the next 6 days..

Pray
them oral antibiotics are a pain once the rabbits starts to get better

have fun

them oral antibiotics are a pain once the rabbits starts to get betterhave fun
Yes, you're quite right, after the first dose he puts up a fight, because he knows whats coming.. :|

However food intake is still low..

Thumper has now made a complete recovery............. :x
I'm pleased for you (and Thumper) :D

It is worth noting that he is likely to carry the bacteria and may become sick again, especially if stressed. Getting antibiotics in early if you notice anything wrong is vital.