Landrover Freelander 2 rear view mirror problem

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apache

Cow Fiddler ™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone good with cars?

Was vigorously scraping ice of the inside of my windscreen this morning and my rear view mirror popped off. It appears to clip on to a pentagonal (I think) bolthead fused to the windscreen but doesn't just clip on with moderate force.

The handbook says to consult a dealer, but this can't be that hard - surely?

Anyone?

I did a google search and found nothing.

Some of them do take a good whacking to get on and off. Those bolts are surprisingly well attached (usually ;) )

Some of them do take a good whacking to get on and off. Those bolts are surprisingly well attached (usually ;) )
Thanks! Will try harder. There's no space to get any sort of tool in. Will try more violence tomorrow!

Anyone good with cars?Was vigorously scraping ice of the inside of my windscreen this morning and my rear view mirror popped off. It appears to clip on to a pentagonal (I think) bolthead fused to the windscreen but doesn't just clip on with moderate force.

The handbook says to consult a dealer, but this can't be that hard - surely?

Anyone?

I did a google search and found nothing.
:eek: :| :^O

Did you leave the flippin windows open again last night Patch!? ]:) ROTFWL

Try warming up the mirror with a hair dryer before replacing.

Hi. 

I know this thread is old, but just adding what the trick is in case anyone reads this later.  I just put mine back on after loads of experimenting.  It turns out this fixing type with the not-quite-bolt shaped thing on the windscreen is quite common - so I bet all the auto glass people know this answer in a heart beat...

you twist it on!

Some of the flats on the windscreen bit extend out less than others.  there is a notch to the left on the screen you line up with a notch on the mirror when it is finally seated.  so do the following:

1.  remove the plastic coweling/cover so you have the bare metal mirror mount

2. line up the peg on the mirror mount with the hole to the left of the mount on the windscreen

3.  turn the mirror so the peg no longer lines up with the hole and instead the claws on the mount line up with the shallower flats (you'll feel the mirror recieve the flats/window bit 

4.  press and turn the mirror so that the peg ends up lined up.. you will feel it snap niceley into place

5.  put coweling back on and feel satisfied you have sorted it!