pipes claning

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a place i have been working has had a sink swaped over, flexi conectors have been used, and know if u turn the hot on and off sharply it makes a claning sound and the hose shakes. the pipe work is tight so is not baning together and it has only started since the new sink. not sure if this has anything to do with it but on the isolator the screw head moves in and out slightly. also the flexi tails are a smaller boar than 15mm. does any one know why? i have seen this in a house once befor and a few plumbers could not pin point the problem has any one come across this befor thanks

The pipework is loose so it is rattling as the flow is stopped suddenly. One solution is to not turn the water off sharply, the other is to stop the pipes rattling. Water hammer is a PITA, I hate it!

it must be lose somewere hidden then as the pipe i can see is tight or cemented into the wall. might tell them to turn the iso down a bit to ease the preasure off. thanks for the quick response

PITA?

u are spot on my friend it is a pain in the arse:)

Turning pressure down won`t noticeable make a difference. Unclipped pipework (hot OR cold), somewhere!!!!!

My ~BGIL`s house was the same over the new year; and that`s council property,......

ive got exactly the same issue with my hot water on my kitchen sink....

Worst part is, its right in a place which would mean removing part of my kitchen :(

if there is a service valve local to the tap thats the problem, turn it half off - wont make much difference to flow through tap, but will most likely stop the water hammer. you could also try attaching it to something else - like anothe rpipe along side it, or anything it can be fixed to

I get a lot of noise from my CH pipework on start up and shutting down, loud clangs, sometimes in rapid succession very loud and annoying. Also happens when HW is drawn off. System is a condensing combi all copper pipework yorkshire fittings.

I get a lot of noise from my CH pipework on start up and shutting down, loud clangs, sometimes in rapid succession very loud and annoying. Also happens when HW is drawn off. System is a condensing combi all copper pipework yorkshire fittings.
my pipes make like a ticking sound when heating starts, bleeding it stops it

Good point. The radiator in the attic bedroom has a habit of becoming airlocked. No matter what I do it always ends up airlocked.
combi are closed systems so am i thinking they should not get much air in them. mine got air in because i had a dodgy blank plug that leaked a bit. drip drip then the preasure went and it was real noisey

combi are closed systems so am i thinking they should not get much air in them.
If it's sealed it won't get any air in once it's filled. However, there is air in water so it will always have air in it somewhere, if the air isn;t in the water it is no longer water.

If it's sealed it won't get any air in once it's filled. However, there is air in water so it will always have air in it somewhere, if the air isn;t in the water it is no longer water.
do u mean air disolved in water or oxygen in its chemical make up

Can you please explain Lurch? You have lost me here.

I was told by a plumber a few years ago that heating systems rarely get air in them,, it's usually hydrogen gas (or something like that - can't quite remember)... that's why new systems are treated with inhibitor

If you get a lot of "air" then it might be worth while getting your system power flushed and treated!!

I was told by a plumber a few years ago that heating systems rarely get air in them,, it's usually hydrogen gas (or something like that - can't quite remember)... that's why new systems are treated with inhibitorIf you get a lot of "air" then it might be worth while getting your system power flushed and treated!!
As far as I remember it's hydrogen gas from corrosion.

Can you please explain Lurch? You have lost me here.
In a perfect world, the system is 100% sealed and contains 100% water, which by its very nature contains air. Sort of half making it up I think, something somewhere tells me it's on the right track, along with your Hydrogen from corrosion thing. I'm pretty sure I know what I mean.