Can't you move any quicker?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc

Reaction score
Found this while looking for a new job. How do they get away with it/manage it?

2x1 Rewire squad required for occupied domestic properties in Hull; work will involve carrying out full rewires in a single day. The sucessful applicants must demonstrate recent experience on similar projects and hold a valid CSCS Card.
Meets national minimum wage, apparently. Surely no qualified electricians are doing this work?

I've seen some pretty tidy rewires on council houses done including plastering\cleaning up etc... by 2 or 3 men in 2 or 3 days. 1 day is pretty hardcore, I'm sure it's do-able, but I don;t think I'd try it.

I've seen some pretty tidy rewires on council houses done including plastering\cleaning up etc... by 2 or 3 men in 2 or 3 days. 1 day is pretty hardcore, I'm sure it's do-able, but I don;t think I'd try it.
1 day on an occupied house though? It'd take a day to keep moving furniture backwards & forwards.

job centre site i presume?

so many sparking jobs on there for 'national minimum wage', even an electrical estimator!!

That reminds me, i need to have another look for work!

When council rewired our house 30 years ago I think that was in one day but when doing estates you get to know which boards to take up and routes for cables. A lot was in mini trunking and surface boxes were used. Probably was not tested. I personally would not want that sort of work but each to there own.

Batty

2 x 1 rewire squad req. a full rewire in occupied house in a day.... be better off looking for The A-Team, crazy fools. :)

How many people do they pile into these houses? Ok it'd be a lot easier for a surface rewire, but even then getting it done in the space of say 10 hours would be a bit of a struggle. Anyone with experience on these know what the quality of work is like?

Noz, Doreen across the road had hers done in a day, why can't you manage that? ;)

How many people do they pile into these houses? Ok it'd be a lot easier for a surface rewire, but even then getting it done in the space of say 10 hours would be a bit of a struggle. Anyone with experience on these know what the quality of work is like?Noz, Doreen across the road had hers done in a day, why can't you manage that? ;)
Exactomundo...

10 people hit it, do it in a day

1 person does it in ????

I am afraid there is no way ANY competant person would do this in one day.

I speak from experiance where a cowboy company set up for just such a task employed whomever they could to get extra hands on deck only to find that nothing in rush work was to a standard we pride ourselves on.

Unfortunately councils will go for the cheapest tender.

I was called in to help out a friend who was subcontracted to do these 1 day wonders, when I arrived with three of my own lads what we saw was shocking, and the stress was all too aparrent.

At around 16:00 hrs the head of the council arrived with the bloke who was in charge of the rewires, guess what I said :)

Well you know me for opening my mouth.

In the rush they had almost demolished the house, a double socket in one bedroom was almost 3 block square. Cables had been tangled around heating pipes, one electrician took nuetrals down to switch, the other used switch wires

Needless to say it was a mess, as can be expected if made to rush. I actually told them that if this house is given a certificate I would complain to the building control.

Another company doing the same type of work gave two days for a full rewire, what a difference, still high pressure work but all cables where in prescribed zones, away from other influences, everything was chased out perfect and a real treat to work on.

I am sorry but these companies are set up for one thing and that is volume over quality, and they get away with it, such is the way part p is policed.

I wish I was an enforcement officer, I would take any licence from them in an instant.

Thanks GH, nice to know what the quality of workmanship is like. Was a certificate issued? Sounds like it wasn't a surface rewire, how many people do they throw into these houses?

Marc.

Myself and an apprentice took 2 long days to do a surface re-wire in a 2 bedroom council flat, new DB and tested correctly.

How the hell do they manage a house in a day?

Myself and an apprentice took 2 long days to do a surface re-wire in a 2 bedroom council flat, new DB and tested correctly.How the hell do they manage a house in a day?
Thats about how fast it can be done doing it correctly.

I can and did a bathroom and kitchen with new CU in a day, first and second fix, and even then I got pulled by some young upstart because I used blank plates to cover unused connections, that required maintenance because of screw type connections. He wanted them all plastered over.

I refused to do anything against regulations and was booted off the job.

Marc

As to your question the tester came after everything was installed and plastered, I doubt very much that any certificate would be worth the paper it was written on to be honest.

When they did ours all those years ago my main memory was whoever put tails into meter did not tighten them up because after a few days our lights started flashing.

Batty

The company i work for carries out 1 day rewires, normally 2 sparkies and 1 labourer, all chased in, capped up ready for plasterers to follow the next day.

All chases done with chase machine and extractor, normally 2 lads chasing out while the lead electrician gets boards up and starts pulling cables in

The company i work for carries out 1 day rewires, normally 2 sparkies and 1 labourer, all chased in, capped up ready for plasterers to follow the next day.All chases done with chase machine and extractor, normally 2 lads chasing out while the lead electrician gets boards up and starts pulling cables in
You deserve a cigarette doing all that lot in one day.

Latest posts