Would you move?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danny7299

Reaction score
I keep seeing people talking about wanting to move over seas ... Was just wondering with all the politics , scams and issues in this country how many of you have or are thinking about moving !

Been there and done that. Lived and worked in NZ for 5 years and realised theres no place like home. Even in a 'commonwealth' nation like NZ the harsh reality is that it is a 'user pays' way of life. You want your kids to go to college - big money, doctors, dentists all costly, education you have to pay towards that, family tax credits, family allowance, income tax thresholds? forget it.

What I am saying is work it out for yourselves, yes there is an initial feeling of being glad to be away from it all, but the reality is we take a lot for granted. Another important thing to be aware of is credit rating. Move to a country like NZ and you wont have one. I couldnt get an overdraft, visa card ar anything for about a year.

I would move to Scotland - I love the Scots and it is such a beautiful place. :x

Not overseas - but who cares? :)

** I have moved the thread to the POLL Forum **

I would move to Scotland - I love the Scots and it is such a beautiful place. :x Not overseas - but who cares? :)

** I have moved the thread to the POLL Forum **
Scotland is a beautiful country ,Admin , but the summer only lasts about two weeks. !!! And the MIDGES ...cor blimey !! :|

Scotland is a beautiful country ,Admin , but the summer only lasts about two weeks. !!! And the MIDGES ...cor blimey !! :|
No different to Wales then. Well; there is one difference, Scotland gets more snow than us. :D

Would I move? Too right I would!

Anywhere that was warmer than this place, and the government didn`t screw joe bloggs as ours does.

Have considered US, and also working in Egypt. Alot of brits are moving there, and they aren`t that keen on the arab`s work ethics........

I know a plumber who moved out there, and there was a 6 month lag on his books, last year!!! As an added bonus, their banks are currently paying 17% interest on savings.

I would go further and not move out of Yorkshire! :D
Interesting concept to 'go further', but 'not move'? Doc H
I see my hasty reply was a little unclear. I would go further than saying I would never leave England and never leave Yorkshire - given half the chance.

I have jokjed in the past that if they were building a wall around Yorkshire and you had to pick 'in' or 'out' I'd stay in everytime.

God's own country :D

yorkshire_dales.jpg

Perhaps more options on the Poll, would have taken this subject a little further.

The Godfather

I lived in the U.S. for a while, returning to England in 1996 for family reasons. I would have almost certainly gone back when I had the chance had my green card not expired and the immigration rules changed to the extent that trying to get a visa to be self-employed now is almost impossible unless you're very well-off.

Even in a 'commonwealth' nation like NZ the harsh reality is that it is a 'user pays' way of life. You want your kids to go to college - big money, doctors, dentists all costly, education you have to pay towards that, family tax credits, family allowance, income tax thresholds? forget it.
But you pay for all those things in the U.K. too, through taxes. If there weren't all these supposed "free" things provided by the government - which in reality has no money of its own in the first place - taxes could be reduced drastically, and we wouldn't also be paying for the horrendous bureaucracy to implement their convoluted systems.

When the government says it will give you this benefit or that benefit, remember that it is bribing you with your own money!

True, all I know is I have a better standard of living now I'm back here. My son went straight into college and did a years IT course then 3 years Graphic Design course all of which were free. He didnt even have to pay the bus fare! that would have cost a fortune in NZ

I see my hasty reply was a little unclear. I would go further than saying I would never leave England and never leave Yorkshire - given half the chance.I have jokjed in the past that if they were building a wall around Yorkshire and you had to pick 'in' or 'out' I'd stay in everytime.

God's own country :D

yorkshire_dales.jpg
Thats almost as picturesque as Scotland! ;)

Thats almost as picturesque as Scotland! ;)
I thought of something awful to say to that, but then I saw this;

All well and good for clog wearing black pudding eating ferret owners, BUT we all know that GODZONE is Wales - the Northern part.
and thought of something even more awful.