Insulation resistance testing - RCBO

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dambo

Reaction score
When carrying out an insulation resistance test why should RCBOs be in the OFF position when MCBs and RCDs are in the ON position?

The circuit 'tails' should be disconnected from RCBOs during IR testing to prevent false readings from and damage to the electronics inside the RCBO.
Why is it ok for RCDs and MCBs to still be connected though?

I watched an nic eic video not long ago that said/seen that it was ok to test through RCD.

made me laugh

No, an RCBO is an RCD and MCB combined. I know what you're saying, just avoiding confusion for other viewers. ;)
Actually, an RCCB, RCBO and sRCD are all types of RCD.

Whilst an RCBO does indeed have integral overcurrent protection, it is in fact an RCD.

I have some study material though that says, when carrying out insulation resistance testing, the RCDs and MCBs are to be switched on but RCBOs are to be switched off. I know an RCBO is an RCD and MCB combined, that's why i'm confused! :)

Some RCDs should be disconnected also - it's usually in the manufacturers instructions and is usually the ones with the flying earth lead (MEM and MK for example). On a conventional RCD you should usually be testing on the load side and so the RCD would be off, but can remain connected. It does somewhat depend upon the situation and what you're testing.

RCBOs contain more sensitive electronics which go pop when you stick the IR test voltage through them.

A student did it on our course when we did testing... didn't half make a mess!