cat - little "bald" patches appearing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kme

Fridge Keyholder™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
on the front legs - about the size of 10p pieces.

They weren`t there the other day; and he hasn`t had any fights or anything....

Skin underneath doesn`t look red, puffy or inflamed at all.

We`re thinking maybe a little stress from the move - considering a "fur tonic" or some such?

Your thoughts would be gratefully recieved; and if you would advise a tonic - what would YOU use mate?

Cats are useless crazy creatures but they are very susceptible to stress and a move may cause that! (has it always lived with the big dog?)

They will do silly habitual behaviours if stressed and fur plucking is one of them. The lack of imflamation suggests away from skin disease.

Have you treated for fleas? The simple answer if no is treat! Use a decent product such as Frontline to rule them out. (Treat the dog at the same time, as both share the cat flea (Ctenocephalides felis). We would treat anything with any skin problem just to rule them out.

How old is the cat and are the bald patches over the joints? Sometimes with arthritis and stiff joints the cat can't rub them so it licks or pulls hair as the joint hurts.

You could try a DAP diffuser..................

:D

okay mate:

IMG_0156.jpg

n.b. There are now three of these patches - all on the front legs - other two are on insides of legs.....

Thanks mate

Martyn

The little pink spot in the middle looks like a flea bite too me!

Get some Frontline on!

Next most likely is stress from the dog and the move!

Last edited by a moderator:
Our cat developed a bald stripe on his hind leg , the missus thought someone had shaved him but that turned out to be stressed related due to us moving house and the ****** finding out where we had moved to ... but seriously it can be down to stress . the fur will grow back as normal , just keep your eye on it for a few days as the cat settles down .. :)

Okay - update required, methinks.....

the "patches" are now quite large - 2 inches +long.

He sits and "munches" them - we`ve watched him - while sitting between us, purring contentedly.

We`ve "flea`d" him - nothing. We`ve used the "feliway", he seems really content, for the most part. Weird with food; has 2 bites, walks away, mewls for awhile, then goes back to it.....like he forgot it was there......... Daft animal!

This bald bits though, it is now BOTH front legs,inside & outside. He hasn`t been for his shots yet - because we wanted him to settle a bit first, and I`m working all the time the vet is open!!!!!!!

Your thoughts would be appreciated, mate (let me know if you want more photos - I can do.

KME

Does the skin underneath still look healthy or is it red and inflamed?

My money's still on behavioral, but if he's due his jabs are your vets open Sat morning?

Skin looks normal, bud.

Don`t know what the history is - and he can`t go tomorrow, as I`ve got to work !

But I do have to get him in for his shots - before we can take him up the kennels......

KME

We could fit it with a collar to stop it plucking?
Mrs. KME has offered to fit YOU with a collar, to stop you being so facetious.

In all seriousness, they don`t seem to be getting any bigger, and the initial ones are starting to grow back, so maybe he`s "over it"? :|

Thanks mate:x

The KMEs

I thought you was supposed to be a vet, with your 12 letters after your name?????That`s a picture of a DOG. Not a ruddy CAT!

Call yourself a vet, when you can`t tell the difference between canine & feline?????:OROTFWL] :)
You fit the dog into the collar and the dog holds the cat in place*..........

(*my terrier wouldn't let go!)

Mrs. KME wants to know if we should put wine (or other alcoholic beverage) into its water, to "de-stress it"] :) Think that`s in response to the "fine wine" comment:D
I'd remove all access to water and feed it gin! Guaranteed cure!*

(*read the disclaimer at the start of the section, and don't really do this, obviously. To be fair if you even contemplated doing it for a single second you are not fit to have a pet, you awful person)

;)