5 week wonders

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steptoe

of course Im wrong, ask my wife™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just wondering how or why we are all here,

honest answers would be appreciated, though Im sure some fibbing may take place, so Ive made it public to those who actually have the face to vote

OK

Old man was a builder so as a spotty teenager I tagged along with his spark now and again.

Later in my working life (post army) sent to college by employer for a couple of years to gain Onc electronics.

Then decided I'd like to stay at college & get formal quals in sparking, so paid out of my own pocket for night school at local college gained C&G 2360 pts1 & 2.

Stayed at college & paid for & gained C&G 2381 (16th ed).

Set up my company & started doing sparking work for my employer.

Changed college paid for & gained C&G 2391

Joined NICEIC DI scheme

Back to college for the C&G 2382 (17th ed)

Thats where I am & how I got here.

Last C&G qual was in November installation of cellular & mobile radio or data equipment, nothing to do with sparking but hey ho.

OK Old man was a builder so as a spotty teenager I tagged along with his spark now and again.

Later in my working life (post army) sent to college by employer for a couple of years to gain Once electronics.

Then decided I'd like to stay at college & get formal quals in sprking, so paid out of my own pocket for night school at local college gained C&G 2360 pts1 & 2.

Stayed at college & paid for & gained C&G 2381 (16th ed).

Set up my company & started doing sparking work for my employer.

Changed college paid for & gained C&G 2391

Joined NICEIC DI scheme

Back to college for the C&G 2382 (17th ed)

That where I am & how I got here.

Last C&G qual was in November installation of cellular & mobile radio or data equipment, nothing to do with sparking but hey ho.
I wasnt sure how to do you forces guys,

cos I know quite a few have done different trades in different ways,

but still felt required something other than me being a spotty teenager oik for it,

thanks for helping get it rolling though M107, & Lurch.

OK.

Similar (ish) story to M107. Father was a head service engineer for "Bang & Olafsen" for many many years, and I grew up around electronics, `scopes, valves and the like.

In school, we could take college on day release, and I took 236-1.

Left school, took 236-2 and went into the RN for 5 years (comms).

When I moved down south, after meeting Mrs. KME, I had temporary security work, whilst looking for an electrical position. Industrial accident (council`s fault, but they argued the toss very well). Off work for 7 years ( crutches for 3 years), following spinal operation. Began working for a company as QS; paid for & passed 2381.Shortly after, was approached by the local business college, to "sit in" on their first 14-day "part-p" course (NVQ3) ; so passed that too....

Sat and passed 2391, six months before leaving employment for S/E in mid `07. Haven`t looked back.

Considering qual in MGS, but they want a LOT of dosh for it, and I just don`t have it, at the moment.....

edit. Sorry- did 2382 last year ;)

KME

As I have said before (I don't mind repeating myself though!)

I left school at 16 and got an apprenticeship with the MOD (RAF) as an avionics instrumentation technician

Spent 2 years in their own training school learning electrical/electronic/mechanical engineering and about many avionic systems including the theory of flight.

Then I went to the shop floor for the next 2 years under close supervision, during that time I also carried on with my education doing day release and evening at college.

Once I was time served I continued college until I gained a HNC in electrical and electronic engineering.. I also carried on doing many in house courses and even ended up being a trainer for some of the software packages that we used.

After being in the MOD for 17 years and after several redundancy balloons going up I decided that it was time to leave for pastures new and took the next one. I then did my 2381 (3 1/2 days) and 2391 (4 1/2 days) and went self employed.. Always only doing work that I feel comfortable doing and continuing to learn through research and forums like this..

I'm not a spark I suppose I could be described as a diyer (isn't everyone when they do work that another trade would usually do). I always wanted to be a spark as a boy, not sure why. Got pushed down the academic route and went to university to do electrical engineering but made an a*se of that by spending most of my time in the boozer or in the library reading the regs (15th edition at the time).

Decided Uni wasn't for me so got a job in an office after a couple of years the department started getting PC's 80386 machines running DOS. I got interested and tought myself DOS then Windows then after a couple of years moved into IT for real. I have been in the IT infrastructure game for over 15 years now and covered everything from server support to voice and data network architecture and design and currently doing Infrastructure strategy work. Starting to miss being on the tools though.

Over the years I've done loads of "DIY" electrical work in my own houses and have signed up with one of the private training providers to do C&G 2382 and 2391 not necessarily to do anything professionally but to legitimise the "DIY" I continue to do.

For what it's worth I think that certain people with the right ability can learn the technical aspects of being an electrician in 5 weeks especially if they already have a relevant technical background. What you can't learn in 5 weeks is the craft aspects of the trade.

Im in the middle of my working life did some basic electrical work about 20 years ago when I worked for an air conditioning installer ( loved it), but never pursued it until now, tho I have tinkered at times and picked a few sparks brain when ever I could.

Am now at college 2 nights a week doing C&G 2330 part 2 and loving every minute of it.

Started in 1987 as a pubescent teen and completed 236 parts 1&2 in coming years, 16th edition then came along and sat and passed that, went on to do 236 part "C" (2 years of nights paid for by company but was hard work), then came 2391 and last January did 17th edition. Also did 2377 PAT testing course, not rocket science that one though.

For what it's worth I think that certain people with the right ability can learn the technical aspects of being an electrician in 5 weeks especially if they already have a relevant technical background. What you can't learn in 5 weeks is the craft aspects of the trade.
that post I think is a very good view,

the problem I believe lies in the fact not everyone who does a short course realises that,

they think having the piece of paper makes them a spark,

IMHO, only experience will do that.

kinda why I wanted to see how it measured up in a poll TBH.
Started off as a trainee as I could not get an apprenticeship. I was working under a qualified electrician in a factory installing machinery, compressors and new circuits ( bus bars ) . Got no formal qualifications there so I eventually started my c&g 2330 lvl 2 and 3 attending night school final exam this Feb . I have thoroughly enjoyed my time learning and have been lucky enough to work with electricians in that time also . I am planning my 17th ed update and then c&g 2391 . I'm not a time served electrician as a lot on here are but I know one important thing , even I have forgotten more than a 5 week wonder !!! and you never stop learning .. ;)

Ok Boys here goes pull up a sandbag..........

Joined RAF aged 19 as an flight systems mechanic

5 years later retrained as a telecommunications tech. doing all the ac/dc theory etc got B Techs and stuff.....

i know about sat comms, hf comms uhf,vhf etc

came out in '95 and joined Telecential cable company as network engineer

telephones cable tv,internet, etc building distribution networks

left when it changed from NTL to Virgin Media

Did a 5 WEEK COURSE !!!!

Didnt need the first week theory practical week was good next two weeks was 2381 and 2391

2391 did not have a hope in passing that exam....

went self employed doing maintaince and all the small jobs

moved onto rewires,conversions etc

when the work drys up on occasions i go on to site as a sparky mate/improver and learn from the big boys

got a chance to quote on a 2 flats next week which will be the next step

do i know it all ??? nope

is my work up to scratch ? Elecsa thinks so

do i do work out of my depth .....nope

have i asked any stupid questions on this forum ?......hope not

have i helped other guys ?? hope so

is there a need for 5 week wonders ?.......yes and here is why

lots of guys have electrical competence and just need a fast track to make them legal......

would these guys be able to do 3 years in a classroom and support a family ?

nope

the big boys (industrial,comercial) dont want the extra socket/light change job its not worth their while.

any problems with this post ?????

a few thousand members registered and i cant be the only one !!!

show us some balls

Originally decided to sign up to a crash bang wallop, learn everything in six months kinda course in Feb 2008 and I'm still doing it.

Almost finished though:)

Still in employment, so studying and doing assessments alongside. Chose one of the distance learning OLCI course's, but rather than cram everything in, in the 6 months they reckon, i've taken time between each of the assessment to actually read up and properly study the theory, so at least when i've passed the exams, I have done so because I knew the answers and not just fluked it.

Doing bits and pieces with a local guy to get experience also. Next up is my 2391 or 2392, not decided yet, then i'll be looking to join a scheme.

Starting training as a "Carpenter & Joiner" in an elite training Company (Ford - believe it not). Couldn't manage on the

that post I think is a very good view,the problem I believe lies in the fact not everyone who does a short course realises that,

they think having the piece of paper makes them a spark,

IMHO, only experience will do that.
Thats one thing I will have to agree one.

The amount of people who were still doing their level 3 2330 with me and they had set up working on their own, with the lettered up van made me laugh. Mainly because, most of em were booking there exam resits most of the time.

If they couldn't pass an common sense written exam, just shows that they wouldn't have the smallest bit of experience. Just feel sorry for the poor *******s who have them working for them. :eek:

graduated from uni, got into property developing, helped my mate rewire, brought a houes to do up and live in the market whent **** up so got a job in a lab to pay the mortgage, the plant closed down. I paid for a di course inc 2382, befor during and after i got experiance with people i know, usualy for free or low paid, passed the assesment and exams, registered with nic eic DI.

dont work out my depth, learning all the time, if i dont know or am unsure i know a couple of people i can ask, and of course there is also this forum who has helped loads as i can ask questions and there is always someone who will help

Thats one thing I will have to agree one. The amount of people who were still doing their level 3 2330 with me and they had set up working on their own, with the lettered up van made me laugh. Mainly because, most of em were booking there exam resits most of the time.

If they couldn't pass an common sense written exam, just shows that they wouldn't have the smallest bit of experience. Just feel sorry for the poor *******s who have them working for them. :eek:
i used olci and there were people who really did not have a clue and like you say a lot of them were working.

i did not rate olci much but i will say one thing it was not a case of show up and pass