2nd hard drive

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steptoe

of course Im wrong, ask my wife™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, I want to add another hard drive to my computer.

currently it has a SATA drive fitted, the other drive I want to fit is IDE.

there is a spare IDE socket on the motherboard, do I just plug into this and make sure one drive is master and the other slave?

The slave and master is a per IDE bus setting so the existing drive needs not be touched.

Just plug your additional drive into the IDE and set it as master. Job done. :)

Why not just use a portable hard drive via a USB?

Is the spare IDE socket for a floppy disk drive?

Your hard drive won't work in it if it is.

Some mother boards are just IDE, some are just SATA and some are a mixture. However they all as far as I know have a socket for a floppy disc drive. This socket looks like an IDE socket, but only floppy disc drives will work in them. There is often a description near to the socket.

There are some devices that can be used to adapt between IDE and SATA, allthough I have no idea how much they are, or how well they work.

Hi folks, I want to add another hard drive to my computer.currently it has a SATA drive fitted, the other drive I want to fit is IDE.

there is a spare IDE socket on the motherboard, do I just plug into this and make sure one drive is master and the other slave?
Can you mix a SATA drive and IDE drive?

I have a sata as primary master and IDE slave set as CS (Cable Select) just tell it what to be in the bios. No problems to report.

I also run a Western Digital NAS drive for automatic backups on all household computers, including laptops, worth every penny, great for storing pictures, view them on PS3 without the need for a PC on anywhere.

Some mother boards are just IDE, some are just SATA and some are a mixture. However they all as far as I know have a socket for a floppy disc drive. This socket looks like an IDE socket, but only floppy disc drives will work in them. There is often a description near to the socket.There are some devices that can be used to adapt between IDE and SATA, allthough I have no idea how much they are, or how well they work.
Both are IDC type sockets, FDD = 34pins (2x17) HDD(IDE) = 40pins (2x20)

you'd struggle to push a 40pin header into 34pin IDC socket ;)

Can you mix a SATA drive and IDE drive?
Will need to change the Boot HDD in the BIOS to ensure the system boots from the right drive though

if you don't know how to plug it in shoul you be doing it?

;)

as already said they will work fine together, set the jumper to either Cable select or Primary/Master and make sure that the IDE controller is turned on in the BIOS, simply connecting it might not work as if its either turned off or the bios isn't set to automatically detect drives it won't work.

thanks guys,

it says IDE beside it, deffo the same size plug(just tried a dry fit),

and Im gonna set as CS,

only other Q is, do I need to format before fitting, or can I do format after?

using something like G-parted, or will it be OK .?

Im not sure of filesystem, could be either NTFS or EXT, I really dont know.

I have been toying with the idea of putting windoze on it for a dual boot (Ipod etc) but dont really know how to do it.

if you don't know how to plug it in shoul you be doing it? ;)

as already said they will work fine together, set the jumper to either Cable select or Primary/Master and make sure that the IDE controller is turned on in the BIOS, simply connecting it might not work as if its either turned off or the bios isn't set to automatically detect drives it won't work.
thanks Bengie, I do know how to plug it in(just about),

just never mixed SATA and IDE before so was TBH a bit clueless on that part,

blame Sandra, she didnt explain that bit to me properly. ! X(

thanks guys, it says IDE beside it, deffo the same size plug(just tried a dry fit),

and Im gonna set as CS,

only other Q is, do I need to format before fitting, or can I do format after?

using something like G-parted, or will it be OK .?

Im not sure of filesystem, could be either NTFS or EXT, I really dont know.

I have been toying with the idea of putting windoze on it for a dual boot (Ipod etc) but dont really know how to do it.
Fit the drive as is, you can format it in Windows after. I use Easus Partition Manager ATM, free Partition Magic clone. Once the drive is in, format it as NTFS, then shut down and boot from CD and install the Windows as normal. Should offer you a list of drives to install on.

I assume you're not on Windows currently then? If you're only using it for the iPod and a couple of other minor bits then what about using something else for it?

thanks Lurch, I use Ubuntu, but Ipod doesnt work very well on this OS so would like to maybe run windows for quicktime etc to do this.

I deffo would never change to using windows as a general OS again fulltime.

I have a vista disc and licence, and an XP licence but NO disc, so guess I would be using vista ( :( )

thanks Lurch, I use Ubuntu, but Ipod doesnt work very well on this OS so would like to maybe run windows for quicktime etc to do this.I deffo would never change to using windows as a general OS again fulltime.

I have a vista disc and licence, and an XP licence but NO disc, so guess I would be using vista ( :( )
I've never tried the iPod on Ubuntu, but I never used to use iTunes on Windows for it either.

What version of XP are you after? Pro\Home, retail\OEM\other? I've downloaded a few iso's from piratebay for reinstalling machines.

my computer did have windows XP home on it according to the sticker on the side,

I did download one from somewhere but I think it was actually garbage cos it opened in my download box as rubbish,

possibly a virus aimed at a windows machine so maybe I was quite lucky that time.

I do know how to burn images etc, if I know the one to down load,

would prefer XP TBH cos thats what I used before.

never used vista in my life, but got the disc/licence gave to me along with this PC (my neice got a new laptop for xmas).

if you have any pointers Lurch Id be grateful, I have piratebay and frostwire.