Notifiable Commercial work

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vladimir3000

Reaction score
Hi,

It's pretty easy to come across a general example list of notifiable domestic work, but what about commercial work?

I know for commercial you dont need to be a member of a NIC type scheme, but can someone help me so i can get my head round what commercial work is and isnt notifiable?

Thanks..........

:)

As Lurchio says , none . Isn't it wonderful ???? Wonder when that will change . :|
Very soon if the scheme providers have anything to do with it.

Back to original question, notifiable is only a word assciated with domestics.

However the building regulations and any other regulations like fire alarm systems and emergency lighting must always be followed.

You have to make out compliance certificates for all systems installed.

You have to keep up with the new regs and guidlines because they change so quickly, L2 of the building regs for instance, fitting lights is never going to be the same again :p

is it not true that if the building shares a supply with a dwelling then the whole building is notifiable. So a pub is commercial but as it has living accommodation supplied by the same meter it is all notifiable? Not that i can see this happening in the real world.

None unless its linked to a domestic dwelling.
When you say linked, do you mean physically or electrically?

For example, my friend has a pub and lives in the flat above it but the pub and the flat have totally separate electrics.

Whats the deal here?

ALSO - I have a premises for my business (not an electrical business), am i allowed to, for example, add a new circuit or other electrics then?

I have a premises for my business (not an electrical business), am i allowed to, for example, add a new circuit or other electrics then?
Yes you can, and you could do the same in your home,providing everything you do is to the regulations, which would include testing etc and notification if in your home.

The definition is something along the lines of 'if the supply is derived from a common origin'. So if the dwelling and commercial installations share a common origin then the whole installation is notifiable, if they are seperate, only the dwelling is.

I believe it's used as one of the examples for the application of Part P.

"dwellings and business premises that have a common supply - for example shops and public houses with a flat above;"

if it shares the same meter, then both are notifiable. if they have different meters (either same service head or seperate), then they are seperate installations and only the house side is notifiable

What still annoys me about the "scheme providers" is that i can work happily on 3 phase all day in shop / offices and such like but, go home and i have to notify work or get a 5 day wonder to do it!

It's just plain wrong.

What still annoys me about the "scheme providers" is that i can work happily on 3 phase all day in shop / offices and such like but, go home and i have to notify work or get a 5 day wonder to do it!
If anyone thinks I'm paying someone to wire some sockets up in my house they're going to be prying the cheque from my dead, cold, deeply buried hands, if they're lucky. ;)

When you say linked, do you mean physically or electrically?For example, my friend has a pub and lives in the flat above it but the pub and the flat have totally separate electrics.

Whats the deal here?

ALSO - I have a premises for my business (not an electrical business), am i allowed to, for example, add a new circuit or other electrics then?
If you go and hunt out the downloads section

get a copy of Approved document P

(If you haven't already got one?)

and its page 5 you will be wanting to check out:)

that stipulates the basic ground rules!

:)

If anyone thinks I'm paying someone to wire some sockets up in my house they're going to be prying the cheque from my dead, cold, deeply buried hands, if they're lucky. ;)
Nowhere in the building regs does it say you have to..

Even DIY's can still wire their own sockets! :) ; \

Nowhere in the building regs does it say you have to..Even DIY's can still wire their own sockets! :) ; \
That's handy as I haven;t touched the bathroom, kitchen or changed the CU since 2004. :) I haven't added any new circuits or done any work outside either.