Copper Price / Copper Prices / Scrap Values

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgaw81

Reaction score
Just a quick one, What is the average price of copper.

I have approx 100kg, all clean, with at least another 200kg to come.

(Striping out old 50mm single core cables from the factory) :D :D.

Just a rough idea, can't get to see the scrappy as im working 12hrs day shifts till next friday. :( :(, still four of them are overtime :^O :^O!!

cheers in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
280 a tonne, but to be honest if you dont have a tonne then anything over 260 is GOOD, as long as its all clean copper,

ie, stripped wire, NOT burnt, and NOT pipe, TOO many impurities in pipe, and you introduce them to wire if you burn it!

if you have less than half a tonne then maybe the price will drop slightly more, depends on your man,

I'll give you 75p a kilo! :^O

mostly weight in unstripped. if its easy enough to strip (i.e 10mm singles), then it may be worth stripping.

for smaller sizes, not really worth it. although you get less for unstripped, you also get paid for the insulation

ive got about 160kg stored, i dont have a pension so if i save it all for my entire working life i may have a pension at the end, fingers crossed.

I used to do air conditioning work we used to keep all scrap copper pipe for the same reasons, but it went into a fund for the christmas drink session, we always used to check prices before going to try to get the best price for it , and it depended on what van you available to take it the merchant, if it was a old super carry or the transit .

Of course you could strip it as you finish with it, rather than let it pile up..

:D

:coat

i stripped out a load of swa from a site yesterday and filled a small trailer. went and weighed it in and they paid 1.45 per kilo and it was classed as mixed cable. i was amazed to find i had 373 kilos. along with an old three phase 110v transformer that was no longer working took me an 2hrs in total and came home with