Level 3 Apprenticeship

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ash

Reaction score
Hi I'm new here :) , I'm just coming up to the last stages of my 2330 level 2 (taking my 206 end bay exam next Tuesday). I want to progress onto the level 3 course, but of course gain a job to do along side it. I've been applying to companies, but I've also been looking at apprenticeships. The trouble I've been having is all of them seem to be basic apprenticeships (ones where all you need are GCSEs and you start from scratch) rather than the advanced ones you would do as a level 3.

I started here:

http://www.apprenticeships.org.uk/Types-of-Apprenticeships/Construction-Planning-and-the-Built-Environment/Electrotechnical.aspx

which says it's "Level 3 (Advanced Apprenticeship)", but once I look at the jobs they're all Level 1/2.

My question to everyone is I feel I'm searching in the wrong way and was wondering what best method I should use to start hunting down Level 3 apprenticeships? Or should I just be doing what I was originally and be applying to companies in general?

Well as their are now many 'qualified' but unemployed electricians and a long line of apprenticeship hopefuls then I would think you'd be better off getting whatever you can.

Do you think I'd have more of an advantage over other applicants if I applied because I'd of already got my level 2? What worries me about these apprenticeships, is they might be just looking for someone to start at the very beginning. I applied to the National Grid, which is the same thing, starting from scratch. I got rejected but I don't know how much my (incoming) level 2 had influence over their decision.

No idea, I just know this forum has loads of people in your position looking for work and not finding anything, plus I also know other people looking for work as trainees\mates etc... with some\little\no experience and so far a very small percentage have found some sort of work. If you want some work then you really need to just grab what you can is what I'm saying, if they want someone (you) to start at the beginning then start at the beginning. The qualifications are nothing without experience anyway.

I'm in exactly the same boat. I've had a few offers for small work, but nothing in the way of apprenticeships yet. Thanks for the advice Lurch!