domestic data points?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sellers

Reaction score
Been doing some work from a biggish local plumming firm, owner has asked for 3 data points in his garage which is seperate from the house

Scenario is, bt line in, router to a splitter, ethernet cable to house office, and various bedrooms and cat 5 to garage. Question is can I piggy

back extra points off the garage data point? Want to make sure this is spot on.

Yes and no. You can't just daisy chain them like a BT line but you can run the single point to an ethernet switch (somethign like a Netgear FS105 or GS105) then run points from this. Basically each point has to be a single point radial from a switch.

Problem with using a router is you have to start playing about with it to turn DHCP off and wotnot, also looks a bit heath robinson if you just start using anything you can find, and also a 5 port switch is under a tenner so no need to not do it right.

Problem with using a router is you have to start playing about with it to turn DHCP off and wotnot, also looks a bit heath robinson if you just start using anything you can find, and also a 5 port switch is under a tenner so no need to not do it right.
you are, of course, quite right, unsuitable suggestion of mine for use on a job.

so if I just get a switch its simply a matter of plug and play is it?

you can double up on RJ45 outlets in a sense. As most LANs only use 2 of the 4 pairs you can wire 2 outlets on one piece of cable. Bad practice really as you can get a lot of crosstalk.
Indeed and you can even get splitters that you put in each end so you can run 2 switched ports down one utp cable.

you are, of course, quite right, unsuitable suggestion of mine for use on a job.so if I just get a switch its simply a matter of plug and play is it?
yes steps

routerswitch.jpg

you are, of course, quite right, unsuitable suggestion of mine for use on a job.so if I just get a switch its simply a matter of plug and play is it?
As los**** (****ing swear filter, stupid ****ting thing, doesn;t ****ing work) diagram really, just plug it all in. All a switch does is forward packets, it's basically just like a 4 gang trailing lead for networks.

Last edited by a moderator:
As most LANs only use 2 of the 4 pairs you can wire 2 outlets on one piece of cable. Bad practice really as you can get a lot of crosstalk.
No more so than between the transmit and receive sides of the same link in a single cable which are running on adjacent pairs, or between long runs of bundled cables to different jacks. The reason for the different number of twists per inch in each pair in data cable is to minimize the capacitance between the conductors to reduce crosstalk, but with the relatively low impedances involved, it's unlikely to be a problem.

It's a useful trick if you need to add a second data jack at a specific location and running another cable would be very awkward. Just leave the O/W and G/W pairs on the original jack and use the B/W and BN/W pairs for the second jack (remembering to punch them down on what would normally be the O/W and G/W pairs on that jack, of course).

anyone care to post a link to something suitable,

need to run 2PCs and a printer from 1cable, guy is currently using wifi for it all.

oh, other question, do you get outside rated cat5, or is it going to be a conduit job?

anyone care to post a link to something suitable,need to run 2PCs and a printer from 1cable, guy is currently using wifi for it all.

oh, other question, do you get outside rated cat5, or is it going to be a conduit job?
conduit steps

unless the printer is a "network" printer it will need a "print server"

you can get external cat5 and 'armoured' cat5, i would exacly call it armouring more like SY braid and it cost the earth!

anyone care to post a link to something suitable,need to run 2PCs and a printer from 1cable, guy is currently using wifi for it all.

You can get outside cat 5 will try to find link.

http://www.kenable.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=2179

I have two lines running under my garden in a gas pipe no problems.

Avoid Belkin, D-Link and 3Com. I've had trouble with all of them, as have most people who buy the utter crap. There are other useless makes but for SOHO type stuff I tend to always use Netgear, reasonably priced and does the job, fitted loads of their kit for smaller jobs. As I mentioned earlier, for linking a few PC's together a 5 port switch such as the FS105 (10\100 MBps) or the GS105 (10\100\100 MBps) will do the job admirably.

you can get external cat5 and 'armoured' cat5, i would exacly call it armouring more like SY braid and it cost the earth!
If it has a braiding then it isn;t armoured. You can get proper armoured cat5 and cat6, sure the last lot I used was only

As los**** (****ing swear filter, stupid ****ting thing, doesn;t ****ing work) diagram really, just plug it all in. All a switch does is forward packets, it's basically just like a 4 gang trailing lead for networks.
Sorry to be picky but a switch operates at layer2 of the OSI model and forwards frames a router operates at layer three and forwards packets. ;)