How long would you wait for customer to turn up?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPECIAL LOCATION

Trailer Boy - Electrician.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last Thursday afternoon I had agreed a little job replacing a 24hr time clock..

It was a new customer who had phoned a week earlier. Earliest mutually convenient date & time was Thursday PM.

So I got 3:00pm Thu 4th written in my diary..

Arrive at the house.. No one there... ring the bell... call the phone number

(only got the land line number no mobile contact details).. No one home..

I wait for a bit thinking maybe just a bit delayed getting back home..

3:30 comes and goes still no customer!!

So I wrote a note saying I had been there, post it, then head off back home (approx 15mins away).

Nearly home & my mobile rings.. (15:55 by now) Customer just got back home, So I turn round go back and do the job...

Customer says she has 4:00pm her diary!! I think she got the numbers confused... Date was the 4th Not the time!

Anyway.. If I had waited a bit longer 45 - 50mins would have saved a double trip!

Question springs to mind....

How long would you wait for a no-show customer before calling it a day?

:|

new customer, with no way of communication I'd say 30mins to cover yourself.

10-15 mins if i cant get through to them. bit longer if i do speak to them and know how long they will be

either way, charge for waiting depending on how late they are

I'd wait 15mins, maybe some more if I've nowhere better to go immediately. Then I'd write a note on the back of a business card and post it through.

Small jobs often lead to bigger jobs at a later date, so I'd be reluctant to charge for waiting time when it could have been a simple misunderstanding.

Normally confirm appointment previous day

30 mins max

card through the door move on to next job...

Maybe upto 30 mins,, especially if iv'e got some paperwork type stuff I can do in the van!

Had one today,, arranged to be there at 4pm - I was 1/2hour late - no answer at the door...

Gave his mobile a ring and he says "I've just been rushed to hopsital and they're just unloading me from the ambulance now!"....... all I could do was hope he gets better soon and for him to give me a ring when he can....

I've also had people DIE between booking a job and going to it,,, now that is annoying;) bad day explode

Hi I agree with people who say: confirm appoitment, the day before and/or give them a call before you make your way to get there ;)

Hi I agree with people who say: confirm appoitment, the day before and/or give them a call before you make your way to get there ;)
Thats because you live in the smoke, do you work mainly there must be a nightmare getting around. I worked near tower hill for quite a few weeks glad to get job finished. Londons not my cup of tea unfortunately but agree can be a good idea to confirm before going to jobs.

Maybe upto 30 mins,, especially if iv'e got some paperwork type stuff I can do in the van!Had one today,, arranged to be there at 4pm - I was 1/2hour late - no answer at the door...

Gave his mobile a ring and he says "I've just been rushed to hopsital and they're just unloading me from the ambulance now!"....... all I could do was hope he gets better soon and for him to give me a ring when he can....

I've also had people DIE between booking a job and going to it,,, now that is annoying;) bad day explode
not from a shock i hope lol